The annual award recognises "a prominent designer whose work demonstrates quality, innovation, and influence, pushing the boundaries of art, architecture and design" and each winner is asked to create a permanent, site-specific installation in Miami Design District, the location for Design Miami.
Newson has agreed to redesign the railings at Miami's Design & Architecture Senior High in time for next year's Design Miami. He will also give a talk on Saturday 9 December at the school. Last year, Zaha Hadid created a sculptural installation called Elastika in the atrium of the Moore building - one of the venues used by the fair.
Design Miami takes place in the Florida city from 8-10 December this year.
- Rough Diamond collection by Lee Broom
- Tom Dixon to unveil accessories with liv…e "factory" at Maison & Objet
- Love in the City by Anke Weiss
- Wanders seeks creatives for Amsterdam ce…ntre
- Lolice shoes by Belma Arnautović
- Quattro Fleet Shuttle by Audi for Ender'…s Game
- Hövding by Anna Haupt and Terese Alsti…n
- Interview with Kwangho Lee
- Mr Chocolate Moustaches by Diego Ramos a…t The Temporium
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories