The annual award recognises "a prominent designer whose work demonstrates quality, innovation, and influence, pushing the boundaries of art, architecture and design" and each winner is asked to create a permanent, site-specific installation in Miami Design District, the location for Design Miami.
Newson has agreed to redesign the railings at Miami's Design & Architecture Senior High in time for next year's Design Miami. He will also give a talk on Saturday 9 December at the school. Last year, Zaha Hadid created a sculptural installation called Elastika in the atrium of the Moore building - one of the venues used by the fair.
Design Miami takes place in the Florida city from 8-10 December this year.
- Belu by Zaha Hadid
- Designed in Hackney: Uniform Wares
- Poke Hanger by Kyuhyung Cho
- Anderssen & Voll creates a collection of… tools for indoor gardening
- Gifu by María del Pilar Velasco and Pau… Stephens
- Paul Cocksedge's Double O bike lights sl…ot securely around a D-lock
- Cloud Walk Chandelier by Yu Jordy Fu
- Winding Tower 01 by Mieke Meijer
- I nibbled Britain out of Jaffa Cakes by …Dominic Wilcox
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories