The annual award recognises "a prominent designer whose work demonstrates quality, innovation, and influence, pushing the boundaries of art, architecture and design" and each winner is asked to create a permanent, site-specific installation in Miami Design District, the location for Design Miami.
Newson has agreed to redesign the railings at Miami's Design & Architecture Senior High in time for next year's Design Miami. He will also give a talk on Saturday 9 December at the school. Last year, Zaha Hadid created a sculptural installation called Elastika in the atrium of the Moore building - one of the venues used by the fair.
Design Miami takes place in the Florida city from 8-10 December this year.
- Toren van Uitwierde staircase by Onix
- Erratum by Jeremy Hutchison
- Bocci's 38 series by Omer Arbel
- Tableware by Kathryn Hinton
- Heavy Metal at the Woodstock Foundry
- Interview: Joseph Grima at Dezeen Studio
- Matilda Beckman makes furniture out of "…really gross" dust
- Limited Art Edition 2009 by Freitag
- Revolving Chandelier by Bertjan Pot
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories