The controversial 2006 Venice architecture biennale attracted 130,226 visitors, making it the most popular ever, organisers have announced.
Officially titled the 10th International Architecture Exhibition of the Venice Biennale, the event ran from 10 September to 19 November.
This year the event was directed by Richard Burdett and was titled Cities: Architecture and Society. The main exhibition explored the "global impact of the ever increasing size and distribution of cities on the future of the world’s population" but was much criticised in architectural circles for displaying photographs and statistics rather than architecture.
- Coldwater Studio by Casey Hughes Archi…tects
- More images of Heatherwick’s East Be…ach Cafe
- Pallet House by I-Beam
- Villa Vauban extension by Philippe Sch…mit
- Samaranch Memorial Museum by HAO and A…rchiland Beijing
- "The concept was based on a football d…iagram" - Steven Holl on Campbell Sports Centre
- University of Applied Arts Vienna by W…olfgang Tschapeller
- EDP Foundation Cultural Centre by AL_A
- Courtyard House by Formwerkz Architect…s
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories