Foster + Partners have sent us images of the proposed Khan Shatyry entertainment centre in Astana, the new capital of Kazakhstan.
The 150m-high structure consists of a funnel-shaped, cable-net pleasure-dome clad in ETFE atop a 200m-diameter elliptical base.
The tent-like centre will contain leisure facilities including a tropical water park, shops and cinemas, protecting users from the often bitterly cold weather on the central Asian steppes
Earlier this year, Foster + Partners completed the giant Pyramid of Peace in Astana. Both projects are part of Kazak President Nazarbayev's ongoing, $15 billion project to relocate the nation's capital from Almaty to Astana in the centre of the country.
- Hong Kong Design Institute by CAAU
- Bathing Beauties
- Future Flower by Tonkin Liu
- Dreessen Willemse adds a modern brick bu…ilding to a historic Utrecht street
- Concrete auditorium by Valentiny HVP Arc…hitects built for Brazil's Música em Trancoso festival
- Heydar Aliyev Center by Zaha Hadid Archi…tects
- Pedregal Shopping Centre by Pascal Arqui…tectos
- Moscow Expocenter by Zaha Hadid
- Raffles City Hangzhou by UNStudio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories