Foster + Partners have sent us images of the proposed Khan Shatyry entertainment centre in Astana, the new capital of Kazakhstan.
The 150m-high structure consists of a funnel-shaped, cable-net pleasure-dome clad in ETFE atop a 200m-diameter elliptical base.
The tent-like centre will contain leisure facilities including a tropical water park, shops and cinemas, protecting users from the often bitterly cold weather on the central Asian steppes
Earlier this year, Foster + Partners completed the giant Pyramid of Peace in Astana. Both projects are part of Kazak President Nazarbayev's ongoing, $15 billion project to relocate the nation's capital from Almaty to Astana in the centre of the country.
- 5468796 Architecture covers apartment bu…ilding in reflective panels of glazing
- Bombay-Nouveau by Urban Nouveau
- Feldbalz by Gus Wüstemann
- The University of Queensland opens engin…eering facility with a louvred terracotta facade
- "We wanted real drama in a flat landscap…e" - Paul Baker on Gardens by the Bay
- Christopher Forsyth embarks on a project… to document all of Montreal's metro stations
- Lake Cottage with mirrored entrance by U…Ufie
- House on Zaru Street by Open AD
- Raised outdoor cabins connected to Goodw…ood Residence apartments by WOHA
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories