Foster + Partners have sent us images of the proposed Khan Shatyry entertainment centre in Astana, the new capital of Kazakhstan.
The 150m-high structure consists of a funnel-shaped, cable-net pleasure-dome clad in ETFE atop a 200m-diameter elliptical base.
The tent-like centre will contain leisure facilities including a tropical water park, shops and cinemas, protecting users from the often bitterly cold weather on the central Asian steppes
Earlier this year, Foster + Partners completed the giant Pyramid of Peace in Astana. Both projects are part of Kazak President Nazarbayev's ongoing, $15 billion project to relocate the nation's capital from Almaty to Astana in the centre of the country.
- Maddison Architects add timber-framed an…nex to log cabin in Victoria's coastal forest
- Helix Hotel by Leeser Architecture
- Giant sash windows cover the back of Pan…ovscott's Sydney house extension
- V21K01 by Pasel Kuenzel Architects
- Seascape House by Tomoyuki Sakakida Arch…itect and Associates
- Nordpark Cable Railway by Zaha Hadid Arc…hitects
- Mortehoe House by McLean Quinlan Archite…cts
- CMA CGM Headquarters by Zaha Hadid photo…graphed by Hufton + Crow
- Texan military hospital by RTKL features… slatted sun shades based on skin grafts
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories