Design Miami update: Our earlier post on new work shown at the temporary Moss Gallery in the Design District has been very popular, so here are some more pieces from the new Moss catalogue. Technorati Profile
First up is Studio Job's extraordinary Perished collection of furniture featuring animal skeletons hand-inlaid in macassar ebony and bird's eye maple.
The work is not strictly new as it was shown at Dilmos in Milan earlier this year, but the original one-offs have now been produced in a limited edition of six pieces.
Shown here (above) are Job's Perished screen, bench and table.
Boym's Ultimate Art Collection turns the design-as-art trend on its head, instead adapting art masterpieces as furniture.
Here (above) we show The Chair (Mars and Venus), based on Veronese's "Mars and Venus United by Love", and a bench which the Moss catalogue describes as being derived from Fragonard's painting "The Swing", which it plainly isn't.
Italian newcomer Massimiliano Adami, whom Murray Moss spotted at Salone Satellite in Milan last year, showed a couple of his Fossils Moderni shelving pieces (above) made of trash set in polyurethane foam.
Here are a couple more images (above) of Maarten Baas' Clay range of furniture, which went down a storm in Miami (we've already shown his Clay table, which was the only new piece on show).
Finally, here are a couple more pieces from Michele De Lucchi's collection of one-off Walls & Heroic Structures pieces (above).
The Moss Gallery show at Design Miami was called "LIVE! From Our Studios" and presented monumental, limited edition pieces from eight designers whose work can broadly be described as "industrial craft", mixing elements of hand production and manufacture and displaying highly expressive qualities.
- Dezeen Screen: interview with Yves Behar… on Sayl chair
- Volkswagen claims XL1 is "the most effic…ient production car in the world"
- Black Gold homeware collection by Quintu…s Kropholler is made of tarmac
- London Design Festival 2012 photographs …by Barbara Chandler
- Stack by Konstantin Achkov
- Interactive slideshow: furniture and hom…eware from Danish brand Hay
- Hatcham chair by Samuel Wilkinson for De…code
- Dezeen in the Czech Republic: Daniel Pir…čš, Studio Pirsc Porcelain
- World Carpets by Marcel Wanders
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories