The first of the new citywide bus shelters designed by Grimshaw Architects has opened in New York City.
Featuring a stainless steel portal frame and tempered glass, the shelter is part of a billion-dollar contract with Grimshaw and manufacturer Cemusa for new street furniture in the city.
There will eventually be 3,300 of the shelters across the city. 330 Grimshaw-designed news-stands and 20 public toilets will also open in the next few months.
The inaugural bus stop is located at Queens Boulevard and 82nd Avenue.
- Soccer City by Boogertman Urban Edge + P…artners and Populous
- Classroom extension by Studio Webb
- W-Window House by Alphaville
- École Centrale Engineering School by OM…A
- Mukou Leimondo Nursery School by Archivi…sion Hirotani Studio
- Rural Slovenian cottage by Dekleva Grego…rič has walls of stone set into concrete
- Panoramic animations offer "romantic ove…rview" of dystopian future cities
- Flint House by Nick Willson Architects
- Museu de Foz Coa by Camilo Rebelo and Ti…ago Pimentel
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories