The first of the new citywide bus shelters designed by Grimshaw Architects has opened in New York City.
Featuring a stainless steel portal frame and tempered glass, the shelter is part of a billion-dollar contract with Grimshaw and manufacturer Cemusa for new street furniture in the city.
There will eventually be 3,300 of the shelters across the city. 330 Grimshaw-designed news-stands and 20 public toilets will also open in the next few months.
The inaugural bus stop is located at Queens Boulevard and 82nd Avenue.
- Casa del Atrio by Fran Silvestre Arquite…ctos
- Strelka transforms Russian Pavilion into… a trade fair of architectural ideas
- V&A Exhibition Road project shortlist
- MLRP's Traffic House helps teach childre…n about road safety
- Copper-covered house by Sanaksenaho Arch…itects accompanies Holl's Sifang Art Museum
- Alésia Museum visitor’s centreby Bern…ard Tschumi Architects
- CCTV Headquarters by OMA
- ECA/OAI Office Building by Personeni Raf…faele Schärer Architects
- Barber and Osgerby's Science Museum gall…ery is their "most important" architecture project
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories