Winners of a design competition to rethink traditional British beach huts have been announced.
Top image: Jabba by i-am associates, London. Above: A Hut for Gazing and Canoodling by We Made That, London. Below: Halcyon Beach Hut by Atelier NU, Montreal.
Organised by artist Michael Trainor, the Bathing Beauties competition attracted 240 international entries.
Four initial winners have been selected, and their designs will be built this summer on the coast between Mablethorpe and Chapel St. Leonards in Lincolnshire, UK. The huts will be available to hire.
The winners are: Atelier NU, Montreal (Quebec) Canada for Halcyon Beach Hut; Feix&Merlin, London, UK for Eyes Wide sHut; i-am associates, London, UK for Jabba (detail above); We Made That, London, UK for A Hut for Gazing and Canoodling (detail below).
Models of 100 selected entries will be shown at an exhibition at The Hub: National Centre for Craft & Design, Sleaford, UK, from Friday 15 June.
A second, parallel competition to design a beachfront restaurant/boathouse has been won by Robert Cody of Amoia Cody Architects, New York, USA (above and below).
More information and images of all the entries here
Here are some more of the entries:
Habitat Hut by Suzanne Brewer, Barr Gazetas, UK
Above: Alien Drum Sensorium by Alasdair Tooze, Gareth Hoskins Architects, UK
Hnt by Koen Kraging Louise Jalilian, Sweden
- ABC Center House by Kakuro Odagi and Dai…suke Narushima
- New images of van Egeraat's Metzo Colleg…e
- Mies van der Rohe Award 2
- A Path in the Forest by Tetsuo Kondo Arc…hitects
- House in Koamicho by Suppose Design Offi…ce
- Centro Roberto Garza Sada de Arte Arquit…ectura y Diseño by Tadao Ando
- Temple of Agape by Morag Myerscough and …Luke Morgan celebrates love with neon signage
- Welsh + Major transforms an old Sydney p…olice station into a restaurant
- Kait Workshop by Junya Ishigami Architec…ts
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories