Live from Basel: over the last two days, designers have been creating objects live at the Design Miami/Basel fair in Switzerland.
Martino Gamper took an electric saw to original Gio Ponti furniture salvaged from the Hotel Parco dei Principi in Sorrento, reassembling the parts into new pieces (above and below).
Maarten Baas brought his entire studio to Basel, where they have been making a special limited-edition chair from his Clay series.
The chairs are made from synthetic clay that is hand-moulded over a steel frame before being sanded and painted (below).
On an artificial beach inside the Markthalle building, Max Lamb cast chairs and stools from molten pewter - with varying degrees of success (below).
Kiki van Eijk set up a desk where she made sketches and models for new furniture designs (below).
Tom Dixon set up a micro-factory consisting of an Extrudex machine, which produced plastic extrusions that were turned into chairs (below).
- Interview: Dominic Wilcox at Dezeen Spa…ce
- Tim Defleur folds a single steel sheet t…o form PLI & CO lamp
- Elevate by Gillian Westley for Joseph Jo…seph
- Pivot by Shay Alkalay
- Frost by Mars
- Hellraiser by Karim Rashid for Alessi
- Wooden Giants by PostlerFerguson
- Alexander Gufler unveils sculptural wood…en furniture for TON
- Zouhria by Massimiliano and Doriana Fuks…as Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories