Live from Basel: over the last two days, designers have been creating objects live at the Design Miami/Basel fair in Switzerland.
Martino Gamper took an electric saw to original Gio Ponti furniture salvaged from the Hotel Parco dei Principi in Sorrento, reassembling the parts into new pieces (above and below).
Maarten Baas brought his entire studio to Basel, where they have been making a special limited-edition chair from his Clay series.
The chairs are made from synthetic clay that is hand-moulded over a steel frame before being sanded and painted (below).
On an artificial beach inside the Markthalle building, Max Lamb cast chairs and stools from molten pewter - with varying degrees of success (below).
Kiki van Eijk set up a desk where she made sketches and models for new furniture designs (below).
Tom Dixon set up a micro-factory consisting of an Extrudex machine, which produced plastic extrusions that were turned into chairs (below).
- House Numbers Project by Medium
- "It's nice to make a modernist table in …an old artisanal way" - Hugo Passos
- Soap and light visualise sound vibration…s in Dagny Rewera's installation
- Zaha Hadid and John Pawson for Fusital
- String Lights by Michael Anastassiades f…or Flos
- Nordic Mediterranean collection for Forn…asarig
- Styrofoam Sofa by Kwangho Lee
- Patched Chair by Soojin Kang
- Molteni&C Sofa Chats: Nigel Coates
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories