The project is reminiscent of Lace Fence by Dutch designers Demakersvan.
The work is on show at the New Designers show in London until 15 July. Below is Alex's statement about the project:
The 'rural idyll' and 'urban sprawl' present extremes in which people, like the swallows in my work, migrate. Many people perform this migration daily, traveling great distances to work in the urban, and live in the rural - particularly when it comes to working in London.
It helps to keep clear the fact that the meaning of both the ‘urban’ and the rural, are quite clearly socially constructed. Therefore, if the boundary cannot be physically drawn to any conclusive satisfaction, it would be naive to draw one intellectually. [Savage, Warde 1993]
My work is about taking the effectual virtues of the countryside, and seeing how design could encourage them in the urban environment. Virtues such as close-knit communities, (often maintained by window twitching), which allow the country to exist within the urban space.
The part of my project featured in New Designers incorporates industrial fire safety glass as a method for creating decoration within the urban space.
- Daniele Ragazzo's Liaison Table is sup…ported by giant pin-shaped legs
- V4 vases by Seung-Yong Song
- Mondaine Evo Big Date now available at… Dezeen Watch Store
- Movie: tour of Innovation Design Engin…eering at Show RCA 2012 with Miles Pennington
- R18 Ultra Chair by Clemens Weisshaar a…nd Reed Kram
- dezeen loves... Peter Callesen's paper…cuts
- OLPC XO-3 by fuseproject
- Pure by Jean Nouvel for Ruco Line
- Ammo Liao's recyclable Bio-Knit traine…rs have uppers knitted from a single material
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories