Architects Denton Corker Marshall have won a competition to design a 50-storey office tower in their home town of Melbourne, Australia.
Details from DCM:
Denton Corker Marshall wins design competition for new tower in the heart of Melbourne
Denton Corker Marshall’s design for a signature commercial tower on the Carlton Brewery site, a prime inner-city Melbourne block, has been declared a winner in an architectural ideas competition run by Australian developer Grocon.
Building 4 will be the largest building in Grocon’s masterplan of the Carlton Brewery site on the corner of Swanston and Victoria Streets.
Envisaged as a tall flanking element, it will provide a new long distance marker for Melbourne’s civic spine which stretches from the Shrine of Remembrance through the heart of the city.
Speaking today, Partner Bill Corker said: “We are delighted to be working with Grocon on another landmark building in our home town of Melbourne. We hope to create an interesting and dynamic tower that will contribute effectively to the city’s urban design and skyline."
At around 50 stories, the building will provide approximately 85,000sq of commercial office space with the potential for a hotel and/or apartments on the upper floors, subject to planning approval.
The design features a simple language of ‘sticks’ to create a series of closely spaced slender towers that will generate startling views from the surrounding streets and public spaces.
By eroding the tops of select sticks, a distinctive crown to the tower will be created providing a highly memorable silhouette to the northern city skyline.
The design will undergo further development and will be submitted for planning approval at a later date.
- Melbourne house extension by Andrew Ma…ynard presents a living room to the street
- Western Concourse at King’s Cross by… John McAslan + Partners
- Aviary by Group8 with Guscetti & Tourn…ier structural engineering
- Factoreef by Julcsi Futo, Bika Rebek a…nd Stefan Ritter
- Tenniscalator by David Tajchman
- Casa GG by Alventosa Morell Arquitecte…s comprises six wooden boxes
- Mediterrani 32, Sant Pol de Mar by Dan…iel Isern
- Case-Real's House in Nagatoro sits at …the base of a mountain
- Shingle-clad cultural centre by Modost…udio offers spectacular mountain views
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories