New Designers 07: Lounge Chair by Northumbria University design graduate David Irwin features a steam-bent timber frame with a removable cushion that is fixed in place by buttons.
The chair was awarded the New Designers Peter Walker Award for innovation in furniture design 2007.
The Lounge chair is inspired by Danish furniture design and has attempted to contemporise the traditional aesthetic. The design utilises the inherent properties of the timber by steam bending the legs and arms and uses natural soap flakes as a finish creating very few environmental disadvantages.
The cushion is a completely separate unit which unfastens from the solid ash frame via the slots in the legs offering a practical solution for cleaning and updating of the fabric while creating visual interest and detailing.
- Towel With Further Options by NIIMI
- Today at Dezeen Platform: Stewy
- Cardon Copy by Cardon Webb
- Dezeen Watch Store: GO by Naoto Fukasawa… for Issey Miyake
- Design Academy Eindhoven Graduation Gall…eries 2008
- Konstantin Grcic adds armchair to Pro se…ating collection for Flötotto
- Konstantin Grcic's Clerici seating joins… range for Mattiazzi
- Brazil by Daniel Widrig
- Moss: Los Angeles
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories