New Designers 07: Lounge Chair by Northumbria University design graduate David Irwin features a steam-bent timber frame with a removable cushion that is fixed in place by buttons.
The chair was awarded the New Designers Peter Walker Award for innovation in furniture design 2007.
The Lounge chair is inspired by Danish furniture design and has attempted to contemporise the traditional aesthetic. The design utilises the inherent properties of the timber by steam bending the legs and arms and uses natural soap flakes as a finish creating very few environmental disadvantages.
The cushion is a completely separate unit which unfastens from the solid ash frame via the slots in the legs offering a practical solution for cleaning and updating of the fabric while creating visual interest and detailing.
- Monica Förster designs leather bags for… Palmgrens
- Myto chair by Konstantin Grcic
- Cod Collection by Kria
- Pinch launches wooden furniture during C…lerkenwell Design Week
- Drapery vases by Kruskopf and Kuisma
- The Right Kind of Wrong by Anthony Burri…ll and Michael Marriott
- Free shipping on all orders at Dezeen Wa…tch Store
- Mattia Bonetti at David Gill Galleries
- "That these products have been in use fo…r 50 years is testament to good design"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories