New Designers 07: Lounge Chair by Northumbria University design graduate David Irwin features a steam-bent timber frame with a removable cushion that is fixed in place by buttons.
The chair was awarded the New Designers Peter Walker Award for innovation in furniture design 2007.
The Lounge chair is inspired by Danish furniture design and has attempted to contemporise the traditional aesthetic. The design utilises the inherent properties of the timber by steam bending the legs and arms and uses natural soap flakes as a finish creating very few environmental disadvantages.
The cushion is a completely separate unit which unfastens from the solid ash frame via the slots in the legs offering a practical solution for cleaning and updating of the fabric while creating visual interest and detailing.
- Molteni&C Sofa Chats: Nigel Coates
- Wästberg lighting collection
- Heavy Desk Light by Benjamin Hubert fo…r Decode
- Soap and light visualise sound vibrati…ons in Dagny Rewera's installation
- Punkt. AC 01 by Jasper Morrison
- Otto by Paolo Cappello for Miniforms
- Industrial Makeshifts by Simon Hasan
- Snap clip-on supports create furniture… from found objects
- Dog or Bitch at Konarska-Konarski
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories