New Designers 07: Lounge Chair by Northumbria University design graduate David Irwin features a steam-bent timber frame with a removable cushion that is fixed in place by buttons.
The chair was awarded the New Designers Peter Walker Award for innovation in furniture design 2007.
The Lounge chair is inspired by Danish furniture design and has attempted to contemporise the traditional aesthetic. The design utilises the inherent properties of the timber by steam bending the legs and arms and uses natural soap flakes as a finish creating very few environmental disadvantages.
The cushion is a completely separate unit which unfastens from the solid ash frame via the slots in the legs offering a practical solution for cleaning and updating of the fabric while creating visual interest and detailing.
- Jan Habraken and Alissia Melka-Teichroew… at Peel Gallery
- "Shape is one thing, research and materi…al is another"
- Ro armchair by Jaime Hayón for Republic… of Fritz Hansen
- More images of Hadid’s Ideal House in …Cologne
- Faithful Copy by Amy Hunting
- PACT underwear by Yves Behar
- Seasons by Valentin Loellmann
- Eclipse Mirror by Bodo Sperlein
- Rooftop fish and chip shop by Something …& Son is (slowly) growing its own produce
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories