Baas (above) charred a Steinway Baby Grand piano - the latest addition to his Smoke series of burnt furniture - and played the instrument at the store's opening party.
Baldele showed Vertical Glitterbox (above), a new, 2.5m high version of his Glitterbox chandelier for Swarovski Crystal Palace.
Other new pieces on show include the limited edition Panda Chair (above) by the Campana Brothers.
Here is some text from the Moss website:
August 2007: the first Moss store outside of New York's Soho district opens its big glass door, on Melrose Avenue near the mouth of Melrose Place. 3500 square feet of cool optic white space bifurcated by a ten ton steel beam running straight from the door to the sales station. Paul Smith Big Pink to right of us, the Pacific Design Center Blue Whale to the left, and Marc Jacobs across the street. We got Maharam down the street and APC so close we can bang on the wall.
GLITTER AND SMOKE
The opening exhibition is called Glitter & Smoke and is the first of several installations planned featuring chandeliers from the Swarovski Crystal Palace collection. Moss has exclusivity on the collection in California and New York, and is premiering an extraordinary new light by Georg Baldele, the Vertical Glitterbox.
Moss has installed eighteen of these eight foot high crystal pillars, in clear, teak or peridot, creating a hanging crystalline garden surrounding a 1938 Steinway Baby Grand fire-sculpted by young Dutch designer Maarten Baas. The piano is part of Baas' Where There's Smoke collection for Moss.
- Blue D1653 by Arian Brekveld, Chris Koen…s and Damian O'Sullivan for Royal Delft
- Overground by DZHUS
- The Art of the Album Cover at The Galler…y@
- PenJet printer by Jaan Evart, Julian Hag…en and Daniël Maarleveld
- Lumps of lava act as built-in dimmer swi…tches for porcelain lamps by gt2P
- Deptford Design Market Challenge
- Plantation pots combine hand-thrown porc…elain with discarded glasses
- Pieteke Korte creates optical illusions …with leather for Visual Interferences collection
- Nendo adds to its expanding design portf…olio with flexible reading glasses
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories