The new building, which is in Shoreditch, will open on October 6.
Here is the release announcing the opening:
6 August 2007, London: Rivington Place, a new £8m public building, will be the first permanent space dedicated to culturally diverse visual arts in the UK when it opens in London on 5 October.
Rivington Place celebrates the 20 year vision of two organisations: inIVA (the Institute of International Visual Arts) and Autograph ABP of establishing a permanent home to profile international issues and perspectives in contemporary art and photography and to lead debate on diversity.
The building, by award-winning architect David Adjaye OBE, is the first new-build public gallery in London since the Hayward Gallery opened in 1968. The 1,445 sq m building contains two project spaces capable of housing exhibitions, film screenings and talks; the Stuart Hall Library; an education space; a café; workspaces for local creative businesses and the offices of inIVA and Autograph ABP. It is set to become an important national resource as well as a local cultural and social hub.
Rivington Place is supported by a £5.9 million Arts Council England Lottery Capital 2 programme grant. Barclays is the Rivington Place founding corporate partner, contributing £1.1m toward the development.
Since their foundation in 1988 and 1994 respectively, Autograph ABP and inIVA have championed difference in the visual arts. The opening exhibition, London is the Place for Me (5 October – 24 November), looks at migration through photography and moving image. The exhibition will explore the presence of the many different diasporic communities living in Britain today and will include work by Dinu Li, Keith Piper, Mona Hatoum, Harold Offeh and Leticia Valverdes. amongst others. [Full details on the exhibitions in Further Information].
- The Long Barn Studio by Nicolas Tye Arch…itects
- Tsumuji+Hako by UID Architects
- House K by Hiroyuki Shinozaki Architects
- Emerald Art Glass House by Fisher Archit…ecture
- Architects "haven't learned" how to conn…ect skyscrapers to the public realm, says Safdie
- Slideshow: Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2…012 by Herzog & de Meuron and Ai Weiwei
- House in Marupe by Open AD
- Rojkind Arquitectos renovates Mexico's N…ational Film Archive and Film Institute
- LGA Architecture creates wood and cement… home for a curator and her art collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories