Designer Ryan Frank has designed a range of furniture made from wood salvaged from old office furniture.
Here is a press release from Frank:
Ryan Frank launches his waste wood furniture range at Tent London with new furniture manufacturer
London 20 September 2007. Redundant office furniture is given a new lease on life with Ryan Frank’s latest design, an elegant eco-furniture range built from the waste wood of old, battered office desks.
‘Strata’, consisting of a chair, stool, coffee table and dining table, has been commissioned by leading Portuguese furniture developer, IMADETrading, who will be distributing it across the UK and the rest of Europe.
The range will make its debut at TentLondon, the highly anticipated design event by duo Jimmy Macdonald and Ian Rudge being held at the Truman Brewery and also 100% Design at Earl's Court during the London Design Week this September.
The Strata range comprises a mix of different woods layered together. Salvaged materials make up approximately 60-70 per cent of each product’s composition; the remaining material is FSC plywood, required to provide the structural strength. GreenWorks, a charity and social enterprise, which reclaims timber from redundant office furniture collected around the UK, will supply the material and assist in the production process.
“This is a fantastic example of how salvaged materials can effectively re-enter the industry, this is exactly what we are trying to achieve with Greenworks" says Patrick Bek Joinery Design Manager at Greenworks.
The chair, Bourke’s Luck, offers a curved lower platform, which allows the user a storage space for magazines, books and soft furnishings. The stool, Lower Slot, also has the storage platform, and allows Bull Valley, the coffee table, to be stacked on top for simple shelving and space saving. The Strata range is completed with Upper Kaibito, a dining table, designed to complement the elegant look of the Bourke’s Luck chairs.
“Each individual reclaimed component used in the construction of the furniture comes with a story - I love the fact that I am able to build new furniture with a history." Says Ryan.
- Adidas launches Springblade Razor traine…rs with soles made of curved pads
- A Pound of Flesh for 50p (study) by Alex… Chinneck
- Brooke Roberts turns brain scans into kn…itwear patterns
- 3D-printed shades diffuse light from Afi…llia lamps by Alessandro Zambelli for .exnovo
- Dream music video by Cauboyz
- "People who don't like Comic Sans don't …know anything about design"
- Campana Brothers video interview 3
- Luca Nichetto combines Danish and Italia…n design for Cloud seating range
- Bionic Runner combines cycling and joggi…ng for "injury-free" running
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories