A team of four architectural practices (Modostudio, Adhoc, Barbarela and Bestbefore) have won an international competition to design the Ciudad del Medio Ambiente - or Environment City - in Santomera in the Spanish province of Murcia.
The project will be built in a former quarry and will feature buildings addressing ecological issues.
Modostudio are based in Italy while the other three practices are Spanish.
Here's some credits and text from Modostudio:
CIUDAD DEL MEDIO AMBIENTE
Location: Santomera, Spain
Client: City of Santomera
Type: International competition - winning project
Building area: 130 hectares
Budget: € 16.000.000,00
Design team: Modostudio (Fabio Cibinel, Roberto Laurenti, Giorgio Martocchia), Adhocmsl (Juan Antonio Sánchez, Miguel Mesa del Castillo, Riccardo Crespi), Best Before (Enrique Nieto), Barbarela studio (Juan Carlos Castro)
Consultants: Forest engineering: Victor Manuel Castillo Sánchez; Biology: Dott.ssa Maria Dolores Martínez-Mena García; Structural engineering: Julián Pérez Castillo; Landscape: Arch. Nathalie Gidrón
The competition envisions the recovery of a stone quarry in the region of the Murcia. The project, besides generating a high quality environmental recovery, creates a series of spaces to house activities dedicated to profound environmental themes: a true city of ecology. The area is subdivided in to various architectonically unique zones that accommodate respectively:
1, Center of ecological formation
2, Regional school of hunting and fishing
3, School of fire prevention and extinction
4, forest museum
- Mexican Pavilion for Shanghai Expo 2010 …by Slot.
- AV Houses by Corsi Hirano Arquitetos
- La Cándida by Adamo-Faiden
- Mitikah Office Tower by Richard Meier & …Partners
- The Architectural Ride at Battersea Powe…r Station by Atelier Zündel Cristea
- House extension by GKMP Architects inclu…des a wooden window seat
- Sophia bookshop and publishing house by …Nicos Kalogirou and Evangelos Kotsioris
- Stacked Melbourne apartments designed by… B.E. Architecture to feel like separate houses
- Museum in a Shoebox by Aleksandr Kuznets…ov
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories