Design Miami 07: Dutch designer Maarten Baas has created a limited edition of his Clay fans with a chrome glaze.
The fans, called Wind, come in three sizes and were presented by Moss at Design Miami over the weekend.
Here's a bit of info from Moss:
Wind by Maarten Baas, the Netherlands
a series of monumental electric fans, hand-sculpted in chrome-glazed industrial clay, applied over a metal skeleton
Each fan is hand-made by Baas; each size is produced in a signed and numbered limited edition of 8 pieces, exclusive to Moss. Maarten Baas’s work in clay address the issue of form-giving in industrial design, revealing, literally, the designer’s ‘hand’ in this intimate process, today normally concealed through the use of a computer (but there, none-the-less).
Baas’s use of the clay-modeling technique, traditionally employed in rendering the human form from life-study, magnifies the sculptural quality inherent in all functional objects.
- Ruché beds and tables by Inga Sempé …for Ligne Roset
- Rene Siebum manipulates door handles t…o explore the sense of touch
- Haas Brothers and Monkeybiz dress Afre…aks monsters in colourful beads
- Wearable technology needs to "transcen…d the world of gadgets"
- Ancient volcanic rock and carbon fibre… spliced together in Onyx sofa by Peugeot Design Lab
- Journey to Space capsule for space tou…rists by Priestmangoode
- Log sofa by Patricia Urquiola for Arte…lano
- Boombench by NL Architects
- Holzbank by Thomas Schnur
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories