Design Miami 07: Dutch designer Maarten Baas has created a limited edition of his Clay fans with a chrome glaze.
The fans, called Wind, come in three sizes and were presented by Moss at Design Miami over the weekend.
Here's a bit of info from Moss:
Wind by Maarten Baas, the Netherlands
a series of monumental electric fans, hand-sculpted in chrome-glazed industrial clay, applied over a metal skeleton
Each fan is hand-made by Baas; each size is produced in a signed and numbered limited edition of 8 pieces, exclusive to Moss. Maarten Baas’s work in clay address the issue of form-giving in industrial design, revealing, literally, the designer’s ‘hand’ in this intimate process, today normally concealed through the use of a computer (but there, none-the-less).
Baas’s use of the clay-modeling technique, traditionally employed in rendering the human form from life-study, magnifies the sculptural quality inherent in all functional objects.
- Barkow Leibinger chose "strong and elast…ic" cotton for tensile installation in Marrakech
- Mini Clubvan Concept
- iPad by Apple
- Household objects become musical instrum…ents with Sound Pegs by Nick Brennan
- Darum lamp by DAG-designlab
- CATable by Hao Ruan offers a shared work… surface for cats and their owners
- Flesh Chair wrapped in squishy rolls of …fat by Nanna Kiil
- Cycling shoes by Tracey Neuls for Tokyob…ike
- Collection One by hundredstensunits
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories