Japanese lighting designer Chihiro Tanaka has produced two new products, one inspired by cherry blossom and one by "shimmering aurora and sublime mountain folds".
The lights are called Sakulight (above and top) and Onduler (below).
Here's some info from Chihiro Tanaka:
Spring is ushered in by the cherry blossom. In the language of flowers, cherry blossoms signify "chastity" and "spiritual beauty." Like moonlit cherry blossoms, these beautiful blooming flowers, pure and white, imbue their surroundings with a mystical quality.
Hand-made petals delicately enfold the light within, gently and romantically illuminating. Just like their namesake, these light fittings enrich the spirit.
Inspired by various "creases" that exist in nature, like shimmering aurora and sublime mountain folds.
Each fold overlaps the next in a regular array of waves, with light and shadow flowing from between to create a magical atmosphere. A light fitting with a "constructed" look.
Posted by Rose Etherington
- Cast Desk Tidy by Benjamin Hubert
- Data Clip by Nendo
- Making a Silk Screen by Nina Levett
- Movie: The Idea of a Tree by Mischer'Tra…xler at Clerkenwell Design Week
- Alexandra Stück's Herbal Kneipp Textile…s use scent to promote wellbeing
- Studio Vit's Cone lights are shaped like… party hats
- Drop umbrella by Ayca Dundar is made of …just six parts
- Lamps by Nao Tamura, Zaha Hadid and John… Pawson feature in Wonderglass movie
- Hulger launches second design for Plumen… designer low-energy light bulb
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories