The organisers of Design Miami have asked Dezeen readers to nominate upcoming designers for their 2008 Designer of the Future award.
The award, presented each year at the Design Miami Basel fair in Switzerland, goes to the most promising young designer, chosen from a shortlist of five nominees by a selection committee that includes design luminaries including Murray Moss, Didier Krzentowski of Galerie Kreo and Design Miami director Ambra Medda.
Nominees should have been practising for fifteen years or less. The five shortlisted nominees will all be invited to exhibit at Design Miami Basel from 3-5 June this year, while the winner will be celebrated at a VIP dinner in their honour and be given a commission for a new work.
Last year's Designer of the Future award went to Swedish design group Front.
To nominate a designer: email your suggestions to Wava Carpenter (firstname.lastname@example.org) or leave a comment at the bottom of this story.
Here's a bit more info about the award and the submissions criteria:
The nominated candidate must be an emerging designer or collective who...
- Creates furniture design, architecture, decorative and applied arts, or design-oriented sculpture and installation
- Has been practicing for less than 15 years
- Has produced a body of work demonstrating promise in creative approach and quality of finish
- Exhibits an interest in working in experimental, non-industrial or limited edition design, or otherwise makes a noteworthy contribution to design discourse
Benefits: the Design Miami/ Designer of the Future Award recipient will receive...
- A commission to produce a new prototype
- An on-site installation of existing work in a prime location at Design Miami/ Basel
- A VIP dinner, in which Design Miami/ invites an exclusive group of design influentials and enthusiasts
- Substantial press exposure during the highly publicized Design Miami/ Basel events
- Immediate access to the most prominent designers, dealers, collectors, curators and critics shaping design commerce and culture today
- The Golden Rules by Olivia Lee
- Plant pot by Uli Budde
- Lego Minifigures hacked with Sugru to …create iPhone cable holders
- Stone Spray Robot by Anna Kulik, Inder… Shergill and Petr Novikov
- Nendo bottles 20 "different kinds of r…ain" for Words installation
- Coming Out by ZMIK
- One Design Office creates aluminium Ar…kitube for carrying large-format drawings
- Spook by Iskos-Berlin for Blå Station
- Wellcome Trust window display by Paul …Cocksedge
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories