The exhibition, a major showcase of China's creative industries, opened on 15th March and runs until 13th July.
The following information is from the V&A:
China is huge. China is becoming topical. Yet China remains mystery to most people in the West. ‘Made in China’ has become a familiar tag, but the spectacular creative energy in modern China is barely known. During the last twenty years, the Chinese have rediscovered their pre-socialist past and begun to combine their own traditions with global influences to produce a cultural rebirth. At the heart of this lies a new culture of design.
This exhibition will take you on a journey along China’s coastal cities to experience the country’s creative landscape. The journey starts in the far south, where graphic designers in Shenzhen began to explore new directions in the early 1990s. Next we move up to Shanghai. Here consumerism and urban culture have combined to produce astonishing fashion and lifestyles. Finally, we travel to Beijing, where monumental architecture for the Olympic Games is transforming the skyline of this ancient capital.
China Design Now explores China’s dreams and hopes over the last two decades, from individual designers to the nation as a whole. It is our hope that this exhibition will bring contemporary China closer to you.
- Sit lamp by Fiona Thomson
- Rotten food becomes palatable in human-h…yena synthetic biology scenario
- Barbie by Comme des Garçons
- Il cuore è una pompa by Gianfranco Pamp…aloni
- Verner Panton influences colour palette …for Sibling's Autumn Winter 2015 collection
- Press Lamp by Nendo for Lasvit
- Star System by Enrico Buscemi and Piergi…orgio Leone
- Changing Cupboard by Front
- Superduperstudio designs "spillproof" wi…ne glasses
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories