Ora Unica by designer Denis Guidone is a watch where the hands are formed by the ends of a squiggly line.
The watch face consists of two circular dials, one inside the other, both of which have parts of the doodle printed on the surface.
The Ora Unica watch won the Adam O'Eva Creations international design prize this year. The jury consisted of Alessandro Mendini, Arnaldo Pomodoo, James Wines, Ed Carpenter, Carmelo Strano, Philippe Samy.
Here's some text from Guidone:
Single Hour , 2007
Imprecision and defect manifest a fullness of sense, an inherent pluralism of inflections.
These aspects let us calibrate communication with an idea of imperfection that isn’t “negative”, but which it simply presents itself as a more complicated concept of perfection, often an insignificant and anesthetic value within its “compliance” characteristics.
The imperfection becomes the “ruling principle” of new rational configurations that certify contrast, that wish for irregularity and the break from symmetry, which become distinctive traits of our times.
Ora Unica wishes to be a provocative clock; its aesthetic principle is inaccuracy. Lack of discipline, a childish and irrational gesture to define time, which is precision and rationality. The hour and minute hands are represented by a single line drawn on two circular faces, which turn one inside the other. Both faces together resemble a graphical gesture, a doodle that changes as time passes.
- The Olympian Architects T-shirt by Pet…er Murray at Dezeen Super Store
- Oato's porcelain vases fit together to… form miniature "landscapes"
- Prado sofa with movable backrest cushi…ons by Christian Werner for Ligne Roset
- Francis Bitonti and New Skins Workshop… students 3D-print flexible dress on a MakerBot
- Dezeen Podcast: Colin Forbes rememberi…ng Alan Fletcher at the Design Museum
- Hussein Chalayan at the Design Museum
- Talma chair by Benjamin Hubert for Mor…oso
- Zaha Hadid at IMM Cologne
- Movie: Quiet Motion installation by Ro…nan and Erwan Bouroullec
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories