Ora Unica by designer Denis Guidone is a watch where the hands are formed by the ends of a squiggly line.
The watch face consists of two circular dials, one inside the other, both of which have parts of the doodle printed on the surface.
The Ora Unica watch won the Adam O'Eva Creations international design prize this year. The jury consisted of Alessandro Mendini, Arnaldo Pomodoo, James Wines, Ed Carpenter, Carmelo Strano, Philippe Samy.
Here's some text from Guidone:
Single Hour , 2007
Imprecision and defect manifest a fullness of sense, an inherent pluralism of inflections.
These aspects let us calibrate communication with an idea of imperfection that isn’t “negative”, but which it simply presents itself as a more complicated concept of perfection, often an insignificant and anesthetic value within its “compliance” characteristics.
The imperfection becomes the “ruling principle” of new rational configurations that certify contrast, that wish for irregularity and the break from symmetry, which become distinctive traits of our times.
Ora Unica wishes to be a provocative clock; its aesthetic principle is inaccuracy. Lack of discipline, a childish and irrational gesture to define time, which is precision and rationality. The hour and minute hands are represented by a single line drawn on two circular faces, which turn one inside the other. Both faces together resemble a graphical gesture, a doodle that changes as time passes.
- Mondaine Evo Quartz now in at Dezeen Wat…ch Store
- Min-Kyu Choi wins Brit Insurance Design …of the Year Award 2010
- The Chicken Projectby Kieren Jones
- The Front & Back by Giha Woo and Shingoe…un
- Dame and Knight by Lu Flux
- Enamel by Hella Jongerius
- 11+ designs USB-powered portable humidif…ier
- Golran launches optical illusion rugs by… Raw Edges
- Tom Dixon launches "minimal and geometri…c" Plane light collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories