Japanese architects 16A completed TOO49, a housing complex containing two-bed flats and studios, earlier this year.
The building is close to Tokyo's Haneda airport.
Here's some info from the architects:
“Courtyard Flats” – Closeness and Openness
TOO49 is a six-story housing complex with 43 studios and 6 two-bed-room units.
The building volume was cut by a certain angle under shadow control and wore black natural slates on it, which formed a massive solid to secure residents’ privacy.
This sloping roof, at the same time, makes an appearance of urbanity with characteristic openings on each courtyard.
Proposed in this project was the prototype of stacking courtyard houses to keep not-so-distance with urban context.
This out-of-scale block imposed in an anytown will blend in with the neighborhood as the roof texture improves with age.
- Covington Farmers Market by design/build…LAB
- Multi-Level Parking Voestalpine by Xarch…itekten
- Bryghusgrunden Project by OMA 2
- Barber and Osgerby's Science Museum gall…ery is their "most important" architecture project
- House in Kohgo by Yutaka Yoshida Archite…ct & Associates
- Villa Extramuros by Vora Arquitectura
- NY 11-18-02-10 by Campaign for Dunhill
- Kuwait Al-Rai masterplan by OMA
- Rolls by Sinato
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories