Japanese architects 16A completed TOO49, a housing complex containing two-bed flats and studios, earlier this year.
The building is close to Tokyo's Haneda airport.
Here's some info from the architects:
“Courtyard Flats” – Closeness and Openness
TOO49 is a six-story housing complex with 43 studios and 6 two-bed-room units.
The building volume was cut by a certain angle under shadow control and wore black natural slates on it, which formed a massive solid to secure residents’ privacy.
This sloping roof, at the same time, makes an appearance of urbanity with characteristic openings on each courtyard.
Proposed in this project was the prototype of stacking courtyard houses to keep not-so-distance with urban context.
This out-of-scale block imposed in an anytown will blend in with the neighborhood as the roof texture improves with age.
- Ark Nova by Arata Isozaki and Anish Kapo…or
- Summer Theatre by Kadarik Tüür Arhitek…tid
- Branch House by KINO Architects
- More images of Hadid’s Emirates centre
- National Art Museum of China competition… entry by Gehry Partners
- Reframe by Paul Scales and Atelier Kit
- Passage de la Brie Housing by Exploratio…ns Architecture
- TEK by BIG
- Twin Houses by Terry Pawson Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories