Eye Candy Can have created a conceptual lollipop-shaped device that transmits images to the brain via the tongue.
"Resonators positioned on the surface of an Eye Candy transmit information from the tongue to the brain at the frequency that the eyes usually send visual information to the brain," explains Eyal of Eye Candy Can.
The technology is based on research by the late neuroscientist Paul Bach-y-Rita and is being developed by Wicab.
Eye Candy is based on the same technology employed in the Mind Chair by Peter Marigold and Beta Tank.
Here's an explanation from the designers:
Each of your senses (touch, smell, sight, taste, hearing) sends information to the brain at a different frequency. The brain determines where the sensorial information it receives comes from by the frequency at which it resonates; it can then process it in the appropriate way (e.g. turn sight information from the eyes into pictures in the mind).
An array of resonators positioned on the surface of an Eye Candy transmit information from the tongue to the brain at the frequency that the eyes usually send visual information to the brain. A pleasant sensation of soda bubbles can be felt on the tongue as the mind decodes this sensorial information as vivid pictures.
Wired Science movie about this technology here.
This process is called sensory substitution and can be used to supplement peoples senses, enabling them to see the evocative images contained within Eye Candy.
- RELAX. Tranquil fish swimming through the streams of your consiousness will help you to unwind.
- SOCIALISE. The shooting stars will encourage sociability.
- ASSERT. A big thumbs is guaranteed to reassure and motivate you.
- MEDITATE. The the slowly shrinking circle helps you to meditate.
- OVERCOME. Images of spiders will enable you to overcome your fears.
- FOCUS. Direction giving arrows help to improve focus and attention.
USE ONLY IN SINGLE DOSES. NEVER MIX EYE CANDY.
- Digital flower animation by Daniel Brown… based on exhibits at Dundee museum
- Souviens toi que tu vas mourir by Pool a…t Nouvelle Vague
- A Century of Olympic Posters at the V&A …Museum of Childhood
- Sedia 1 - Chair by Enzo Mari for Artek
- Drone grown from fungus-like material me…lts if it crash lands
- Jaguar E-Type Sculpture by Gerry Judah
- Zipit by Victor Matic
- Johan Lidehäll at Interiors UK
- Disposable canvas layers rejuvenate Mode…l 1 shoes by Lou Moria
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories