"The deconstructed parts of a used chandelier are reconstructed into a new and modern chandelier," says van Gemert.
The following information is from Ward van Gemert:
Name: Exploded chandeliers
Material: second-hand brass ball crown chandelier, electrical wire.
The deconstructed parts of a used chandelier are reconstructed into a new and modern chandelier. The electrical wire is used to lit the light bulbs, but also as construction of the new chandelier.
Story: In 2006 I graduated as a product designer at the st. Joost Arts academy in Breda, the Netherlands, with a series of three imaginary chairs.
To create these chairs I saw ordinary chairs into pieces, which were hung with wires to the ceiling. The pieces were positioned in such a way the existing chairs transformed (morphed) into three completely different chairs. I called these new chairs ‘exploded chairs’.
My ‘exploded chairs’ were stripped of their function and created as an academic project. With my new designed ‘exploded chandeliers’, I used the same method to create new images, but now I added function. The use of electrical wire both in a functional and in a constructional manner, makes this design modern and new.
With this way of designing, I want to make every day objects special/ noticed again. An ordinary, often overlooked, product is used to make a new design. Due to my interventions one image can generate thousands of other images.
With my way of designing I want to surprise both user and viewer with beautiful images and at the same time increase the functionality of an existing product, while visually preserving the past in new designs.
- Kartell presents new Ettore Sottsass c…ollection in Memphis-themed exhibition
- The Olympian Architects T-shirt by Pet…er Murray at Dezeen Super Store
- Drapery vases by Kruskopf and Kuisma
- Max Cooper's Origins music video explo…res the emergence of life
- Priestmangoode overhauls aircraft inte…rior to include more carry-on luggage space
- Sweeper and dustpan by Jan Kochański
- Download the first FOMO experiment in …algorithmic publishing direct from Milan
- Nosigner at 100% Design
- Eco Warrior by Rezon
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories