"The deconstructed parts of a used chandelier are reconstructed into a new and modern chandelier," says van Gemert.
The following information is from Ward van Gemert:
Name: Exploded chandeliers
Material: second-hand brass ball crown chandelier, electrical wire.
The deconstructed parts of a used chandelier are reconstructed into a new and modern chandelier. The electrical wire is used to lit the light bulbs, but also as construction of the new chandelier.
Story: In 2006 I graduated as a product designer at the st. Joost Arts academy in Breda, the Netherlands, with a series of three imaginary chairs.
To create these chairs I saw ordinary chairs into pieces, which were hung with wires to the ceiling. The pieces were positioned in such a way the existing chairs transformed (morphed) into three completely different chairs. I called these new chairs ‘exploded chairs’.
My ‘exploded chairs’ were stripped of their function and created as an academic project. With my new designed ‘exploded chandeliers’, I used the same method to create new images, but now I added function. The use of electrical wire both in a functional and in a constructional manner, makes this design modern and new.
With this way of designing, I want to make every day objects special/ noticed again. An ordinary, often overlooked, product is used to make a new design. Due to my interventions one image can generate thousands of other images.
With my way of designing I want to surprise both user and viewer with beautiful images and at the same time increase the functionality of an existing product, while visually preserving the past in new designs.
- "I felt we should change the way Emeco m…akes chairs" - Konstantin Grcic
- Thonet Concept Bike by Andy Martin Studi…o
- WhiteOut by SpaceOperaForm
- Gijs+Emmy exhibition of Futuristic jewel…lery to open at the Stedelijk Museum
- Mitate by Studio Wieki Somers at Galerie… Kreo
- Dezeen Watch Store: Uniform Wares 150 Se…ries back in stock!
- Down Side Up by Fabrica
- Hayo Gebauer's Moiré Mirror rotates to …reveal changing patterns
- Tomek Ducki animates Adam and Eve's sinf…ul story like an "underground party"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories