With sound effects to simulate the sound of an avalanche, the project, called Out of Joint, is inspired by the turmoil on the financial markets.
The following is from Tom Schmelzer:
How do you transform the current temblor on the financial markets into art for a public space?
Tom Schmelzer’s project-sketch is an architectural intervention for the Hamburger Bahnhof – the Museum for Contemporary Art in Berlin, Germany. It is designed for the walkway from the main building to the Rieckhallen, an adjacent exhibitions hall.
The title of the work „Such movements are unprecedented in history“ reflects on a statement made earlier this year by a broker of the Chicago Board of Trade.
A hydraulically operated, moving and floating segment is integrated into the walkway. In addition sound effects resembling the intensive, low-pitched rumbling of an avalanche or landslide can be heard. A sound that is experienced physically. Together with the shaking it leaves the visitor with an impression of deep uneasiness.
Movement and sound are controlled by a motion detector set off by people passing through the walkway.
Munich-based Tom Schmelzer is a concept artist who uses unique aesthetics in his illusionary sculptures and moving objects to comment on critical developments in everyday life.
Schmelzer's seductive sculptures immediately capture our attention, a task that is becoming increasingly difficult in the twenty-first century. He does this by moving past the aesthetic neutrality of previous conceptual art and reinforcing his appealing objects with sound conceptual statements.
- Lycée Georges Frêche by Massimiliano a…nd Doriana Fuksas
- Casa das Histórias Paula Rego by Eduard…o Souto de Moura
- Chelsea Hill House by Kariouk Associates
- Y Clinic by Kimitaka Aoki of ARCO Archit…ects
- Music Hall and House in Algueña by Cor …& Asociados
- V&A Exhibition Road project shortlist
- EDP Foundation Cultural Centre by AL_A
- Sliced Porosity Block by Steven Holl Arc…hitects
- ARC River Culture Pavilion by Asymptote
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories