The 304-page book presents more than eighty design and art projects that use digital technology.
It includes an introduction by MoMA design curator Paola Antonelli and interviews with designers Dunne & Raby, Ron Arad, Steven Sacks and Mashiko Kusahara.
This competition has now closed.
The five winners will be selected at random and notified by email. Winners’ names will be published in a future edition of our Dezeenmail newsletter.
See Troika projects on Dezeen:
The following information is from Thames & Hudson:
Troika is a multi-disciplinary art and design practice founded by Conny Freyer, Sebastien Noel and Eva Rucki. In Digital by Design, Troika presents the most exciting ‘smart’ objects and their designers who push the boundaries of interactive technology and ‘intelligent’ design, creating new realms of experience, customization and beauty for consumers increasingly looking for products that are much more than mere tools. This inspired and illuminating survey presents a world of design in which the latest digital technologies are ultimately placed in the hands of users, to enrich our lifestyles and experiences in new and unanticipated ways. No design professional will be able to ignore this innovative book.
- A dazzling, indepth survey of today’s best design and art production that uses digital technology in creative and unexpected ways.
- Showcases nearly eighty of the world’s most innovative designers and their designs, from crystal chandeliers displaying text messages to electronic mirrors made of wood and tooth implants which allow for near telepathic communication.
- Paola Antonelli, of The Museum of Modern Art, New York, contributes a foreword and interviews with four of the brightest lights in the field: Dunne & Raby, Ron Arad, Steven Sacks and Mashiko Kusahara.
- Foreword by Paola Antonelli
- Introduction by Troika
- 1 Design Nouveau –Digital Forms and Electric Beauty
- 2 Augmented Art – Narrative Technologies and Immersive Experiences
- 3 Guerrilla Artfare –Disruption and Hardware Hacking
- 4 Twilight Technologies –Critical Design and Alternative Futures
- 5 Interviews: Fictional Functions and Functional Fictions with Dunne and Raby; Bringing Ice to Macondo with Ron Arad; Technology as a Raw Material with Steven Sacks; Device Art – Media Meets Mass Production with Maschiko Kusahara
Troika is a multi-disciplinary art and design practice founded in 2003 by Conny Freyer, Eva Rucki and Sebastien Noel, who met while studying at the Royal College of Art in London. With backgrounds in graphic and communication, art, product design and engineering, they develop a variety of self-initiated and commissioned projects, from printed matter to product design and custom art installations. Their approach focuses on the contamination between the arts and design disciplines and is born out of the same love for simplicity, playfulness, and an essential desire for provocation.
Their work has been shown at V&A Museum, Tate Britain, The Science Museum, and MoMA in New York. Their work is represented in the British Council collection and the Museum Of Modern Art New York. Clients include British Airways, Warner Music UK, the BBC and MTV International.
Digital by Design
Crafting Technology for Products and Environments
Troika: Conny Freyer, Sebastien Noel and Eva Rucki
Size: 27.0 x 20.5cm
Illustrations: 405 colour illustrations
ISBN 978 0 500 514382
Congratulations to the winners! Nathan Benger in Australia, Isaac Piñeiro in Spain, William Peters in Germany, Harpreet Padam in India and Elizabeth Seuseu in the UK all won copies of Digital by Design by Troika.