American designer Victor Vetterlein has designed Yo, an MP3 player dock with removable stereo speakers.
The proposed portable system can be recharged by solar, wind or hydroelectric power.
Each speaker is wireless and can be removed from the base unit.
See more designs by Victor Vetterlein in our previous stories.
The following is from Victor Vetterlein:
Introducing 'YO' - an iPod and MP3 stereo speaker dock by Victor Vetterlein
YO is a rechargeable and wireless stereo speaker docking station for digital audio players. The system is portable, waterproof, and suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
Inside the dock base are lithium-ion (rechargeable) batteries that are capable of powering the stereo system for hours when the unit is disconnected from a power source. The design intention is that a renewable energy source such as solar power, wind power, or hydroelectricity charges the battery packs when the stereo is not in use.
The speakers also contain lithium-ion batteries in their base, and recharge when placed in the stereo base portals. The batteries also provide high-density ballast enabling the speakers to stand upright when removed from the charging ports.
The speaker enclosure is designed to amplify sound. The speakers are mounted in the rear of the speaker housing. Similar to a megaphone, the front portion of the speaker enclosure is extruded to increase and direct sound.
Two removable rods are mounted between the stereo speakers to stabilize the stereo assembly and provide a lifting handle when the unit is transported.
- Z-shaped clothes hanger easily fits thro…ugh the neck hole
- Vodka bottle by Karim Rashid for Anestas…ia
- The "first man-made biological leaf" cou…ld enable humans to colonise space
- 3D-woven fabric creates organically shap…ed lamps that glow in the dark
- Endoskeletons by Alon Meron
- Ma.Mo. by Sunya Studio
- L-INK lamp poster by Jean-Sébastien Lag…range
- Synchronicity Island by Jakub Szczęsny
- Davide G Aquini's furniture collection i…s clad in boat decking
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories