The chair is based upon those traditionally used by village elders in Botswana and was designed for Botswanan manufacturer Mabeo Furniture.
The following is from Mabeo Furniture:
Mabeo Furniture is a Botswana-based company committed to the production of high quality contemporary furniture.
Mabeo seeks to show that a group of local people from Botswana, Africa can, through their own skills, efforts and meaningful collaborations, create opportunities for themselves and for their communities, become meaningful participants in the global economy,and determine their own destiny.
Tswana (Setswana), is the National language of Botswana and a name that reflects the importance of the original antique chair the design is based upon as something the village elders have used during traditional court sessions, or to sit and chat with friends and neighbours. Above: Traditional Botswanan folding chair.
Patty Johnson, inspired by this commonly seen style of chair, has made a new version for Mabeo Furniture.
Patty Johnson is a Canadian designer who has been cited for synthesizing craft and mass production in her work.
Her consultancy work represents diverse international interests and includes clients such as Totem Gallery, Keilhauer, Speke Klein, Nienkamper, Sephora, the Inter-American International Development Bank, and the United States Agency for International Development.
Material: White Oak
- Le Cube by Yves Béhar
- Richard Hutten designs combined confer…ence and ping pong table
- Nike GS football boot by Nike
- The home of the future will "know wher…e you are" - Yves Behar
- Swarovski Crystal Palace 2
- Glazing pigments and vases kept separa…te for A Matter of Colour exhibition
- Ink Calendar by Oscar Diaz
- "With too many contemporary watches yo…u can't tell what time it is" - Tom Dixon
- Scrapwood Wallpaper 2 by Piet Hein Eek… for NLXL
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories