Cologne 2009: young German designer Pierre Kracht has created a collection of objects called Wrapped.
The collection consists of a free standing lamp, a light fitting and a chair all made of a cocoon of thread.
Here's a description by Kracht:
Wrapped - ensnares the past
Memories fashion our lives, yet fade with time. We want to hang on to them, secure them for the future, though this can only ever be an aspiration, for their true content remains ephemeral. Things become witnesses of their own history, their corporeality acts like a host. Their bodies are wrapped in thin string so that in the end they disappear; dissolve completely. Thus only their external forms remain in the usual place in the room, a mere hint, a shadow of what they are. Because they are no longer there, they question and confirm their purpose and function.
- Luminous ceilings and carpets will becom…e commonplace, says lead designer at Philips
- e15 at Qubique 2011
- Bocci's 38 series by Omer Arbel
- HM4 Thunderbolt by Maximilian Büsser
- Moments in Time by Dominic Wilcox
- Moke by Michael Young
- If You Build it, They Will Come… by Be…n Faga
- Florian Schmid's two-legged tables inter…sect with mirrors
- Nan16 by Sebastian Herkner
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories