Milan 09: Belgian designer Marina Bautier presents Modular, a seating system with integrated lighting, in Milan next week.
The range is one of four new products Bautier is showing at Galleria Bonaparte, via Pontaccio 8/10, Milan, from 22-27 April.
Here's some info and a biography of Bautier:
The basic element of the flexible seating system is the bridge shaped leg. The repetition of the oak legs creates a regular rhythm that expresses the modularity of the project.
The thin padded seats (with or without backrest) invite to a short rest in a hall, a hotel lounge or a library for example. A metal pole with a black lampshade is fixed to the armrest.
Beyond its functionality, it contributes to define an intimate sphere and introduces a warm domestic code in the rational typology of waiting rooms seating.
Graduated from Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College (UK), Belgian designer Marina Bautier set up her own design practice in 2002 in Brussels. She works on a wide range of projects, from products to interiors. Marina Bautier cultivates a design approach based on use. Away from any pretence, she creates furniture and objects whose quiet normality hides many small attentions; furniture and objects which render many services without ever encumbering.
While she gives priority to simple structures and materials easily manufactured, she also attaches great care to the appearance and implementation qualities. Away from technological rhetoric, Marina Bautier emphasizes the beauty and the modernity of familiar materials, and especially of wood. Marina Bautier works internationally with clients such as Idée (JP), Case (UK), Ligne Roset (FR), and De La Espada (P).
See all our stories from Milan in our special Milan 09 category.
More Dezeen stories about Marina Bautier:
- Discarded marble tiles form products by …Paolo Ulian and Moreno Ratti
- Magnetic dresses by Iris van Herpen and …Jólan van der Wiel
- Jeddah International Airport by OMA
- Waldemeyer/Chalayan update
- Podcast interview: Deyan Sudjic
- Renee Nicole Sander creates translucent …plastic garments for her graduate fashion collection
- Jonah Takagi: New American Designer at C…ivilian Art Projects
- Ski suits with solar-powered lights by W…illy Bogner
- 10 architecture and design exhibitions w…e're looking forward to in 2015
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories