The modular sofa comprises five different elements that can be configured in various arrangements.
The seating is intended for use in the workplace for meetings of different scales and different levels of formality as well as individual work stations.
See our earlier story on Studio Makkink & Bey's Ear Chair for Prooff.
See all our stories from Milan in our special Milan 09 category.
Here's more some info from Prooff:
The Work Sofa.
Studio Makkink & Bey.
When you sit differently, people approach you differently. The Work Sofa began with this; the desire to encourage true communication.
How exactly do we help Tom connect with Dick connect with Larry? And which way of sitting maximizes social encounters?
The answer is: there isn’t one. There are many. Which is why a modular structure was designed, flexible enough to fit the needs of whoever uses the sofa.
In each of the Work Sofa’s five configurations, a different character is revealed, from formal to intimate.
As the sofa changes, new ways of being social are revealed, depending on which height and layout suit your meeting.
It’s ideal for public encounters and more personal moments, including conferencing, working collaboratively, and even spending some private time, meeting yourself.
But however you use it, the sofa meets your ergonomic requirements... as well as your social ones.
Studio Makkink & Bey believes in a collaborative approach to product development. Each product is the result of a group of talented individuals working together in an atmosphere where experimentation and free thinking is encouraged. Rianne Makkink and Jurgen Bey have worked together since 2002.
Based in Rotterdam, their work has appeared at (amongst other places) the Pompidou in Paris, the V&a in London and the Stedelijk in Amsterdam. Clients include Vitra, Jean Paul Gaultier and Sketch.
More Dezeen stories about Studio Makkink & Bey:
- Galerie Kreo launches London gallery wit…h work by Grcic, Hayon, Bouroullecs and more
- Mother's Day gift ideas from Dezeen Watc…h Store
- Photos from augmented reality watch stor…e at Hackney House Austin now online
- Drop Chandelier by Stuart Haygarth
- Wine bottle by Zaha Hadid for Leo Hillin…ger
- Diller and Scofidio create "mischievous"… leak inside Jean Nouvel's glass gallery
- LQ chandeliers by Hani Rashid for Zumtob…el
- "I was obsessed by the idea of making th…ings myself" - Marc Newson
- Photosynthesis by Ehud Oren
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories