A cable-tidying device called Sling Back (above) is the first product to be launched by Quirky, an new web-based service where product ideas submitted by designers are selected and developed by an online social community.
The Quirky community select one product per week from submitted ideas to take forward for development and eventually be sold in the online shop.
For the products that make it into production, thirty cents of each dollar made through their sale goes back to the collaborators involved in realising the product.
It costs $99 dollars to submit an idea. Where submissions are not taken forward for development, the originator receives the market research data obtained during the selection process.
Upcoming products are sold at a discount to guarantee enough sales are made before the product goes into full production. Quirky is the brainchild of American designer and entrepreneur Ben Kaufman.
- Rainbow Church by Tokujin Yoshioka
- Student project creates template for tur…ning old tyres into footwear
- Patch Project by Beza Projekt
- Tangible Textural Interface by Eunhee Jo… at Show RCA 2012
- Drag by Julien Carretero
- Magnifying spoon designed to detect cont…aminants in food
- Tasse by Patrick Norguet
- Kaarsrecht Kruk by Pascal Smelik
- Zero Gravity by Fly-Pitcher
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories