A cable-tidying device called Sling Back (above) is the first product to be launched by Quirky, an new web-based service where product ideas submitted by designers are selected and developed by an online social community.
The Quirky community select one product per week from submitted ideas to take forward for development and eventually be sold in the online shop.
For the products that make it into production, thirty cents of each dollar made through their sale goes back to the collaborators involved in realising the product.
It costs $99 dollars to submit an idea. Where submissions are not taken forward for development, the originator receives the market research data obtained during the selection process.
Upcoming products are sold at a discount to guarantee enough sales are made before the product goes into full production. Quirky is the brainchild of American designer and entrepreneur Ben Kaufman.
- Lees Mee braille stamps by René Put
- Lego Greenhouse by Sebastian Bergne
- Arne Quinze for Jaga 2
- Dezeen Watch Store: VOID V03 by David Er…icsson
- Produzione Privata by Michele De Lucchi
- Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark artwor…k by Peter Saville and Tom Skipp
- ReMIX Studio outlines hutong house renov…ation plans with UV installation
- Modern Times by Johannes Tjernberg & Ras…mus Malbert
- Bacteria produces textiles for Skin body… adornments by Sammy Jobbins Wells
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories