Copenhagen architect Morten Emil Engel has won a competition to design stools that will furnish an exhibition building by Japanese architects Atelier Bow-Wow at the Krabbesholm Højskole in Skive, Denmark.
Manufactured by PP Møbler in Denmark, each stool is carved from one piece of solid oak.
Here's some more information from Morten Emil Engel:
designed by architect Morten Emil Engel
Morten Emil Engel has won the international competition to design a stool for a new exhibition building in Krabbesholm Højskole by Japanese architects, Atelier Bow-Wow.
The stool is carved from one solid piece of oak wood to provide a rugged, organic, joint-free, highly durable piece of furniture made to last for generations. No screws, glues or chemicals are used in the making, only organic oil for surface treatment.
The stool can thus be composted at the end of it's lifespan to provide nutrients for future growth and complete a cradle to cradle cycle.
All stools are completely unique due to variations in color, grain, pattern and texture of the wood and the stool tells the story of the tree it originated from thereby further reinforcing nature’s beauty and imperfections by revealing it's age and characteristics that make each piece unique.
The design embraces imperfections such as cracks and crevices that naturally occur during drying as well as the slight changes in form that happen with shift in humidity and reaction to weather.
The stool was designed by Morten Emil Engel in 2009 and is manufactured by environmentally friendly and acclaimed furniture makers PP Møbler in Denmark.
Bow-Wow Stool will be exhibited during the Copenhagen Design Week at the following events:
CODE 09 international furniture fair in Copenhagen from 27 August - 30 August 2009
Danish Design Centre SHOWHOW exhibition from the 27 August - 6 September 2009.
- "Our shoes were the first to cross betwe…en industrial design and fashion" - Rem D Koolhaas
- Ananas by Study O Portable
- Feathr launches wallpaper by tattooists,… graffiti artists and surfwear designers
- Mia Cullin models wooden benches on pian…o stools for Orkester collection
- Lumps of lava act as built-in dimmer swi…tches for porcelain lamps by gt2P
- Jordi Bernadó removes doors from Mies v…an der Rohe's Barcelona Pavilion
- Get Lost collection by Tiago Volpato and… Gabriel F channels frustrations of young designers
- Braun Design at Paul Smith Albemarle Str…eet by das programm
- Director Jonathan Irwin burns 250 hand-m…ade model buildings in Aqualung music video
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories