London Design Festival 09: British designer Charlie Davidson has designed a metal chair and named it Is This the Coolest Chair Ever Made?
The chair is made of gas-welded powder-coated punched steel and based on an earlier prototype for plastic seating.
It will be launched at 100% Design in London this month.
See all our stories about London Design Festival 2009 in our special category.
Here's some text from Davidson:
Is this the coolest chair ever made?
Charlie Davidson is to exhibit at 100%Design this year with a new design he considers to be his finest yet, entitled Is this the coolest chair ever made?
Made from 2mm punched steel sheet, gas welded and powder coated the design is based on an prototype for a plastic outdoor chair made earlier in the year. This limited edition piece takes over a week to fabricate and finish. The designer says, "it takes many hours to get all the holes to line up on the hidden joins" and adds "this chair looks so simple in its form but beneath its almost invisible skin lies months of prototyping that makes a perfectly balanced form. This will become a design classic of the future”.
Davidson is a British designer who after living in London for over 15 years decided to move to the Dalsland forests of South West Sweden in 2007. He has produced furniture and lighting for over eight years which has been exhibited internationally and has won him several competitions and commissions.
Earlier this year he opened a gallery with his partner in a disused paper mill near to their home, aiming to introduce international contemporary designers and artists to the area. He is currently working on a public realm commission for Sunderland City Council designing a suit of sculptural street furniture which will run through the city and is due for completion in early 2010.
- Colourless scenes whizz past during musi…c video for The Road
- Design for a Living World at the Cooper-…Hewitt
- Jenny Nordberg produces hand-made furnit…ure pieces in less than five minutes
- SitTable by UNStudio for Prooff
- Holzbank by Thomas Schnur
- Designed in Hackney: Pottery by Ian McIn…tyre for Another Country
- Verlan Dress by Francis Bitonti and New …Skins Workshop students
- Wooden table by Ruben Beckers weighs jus…t 4.5 kilograms
- Ora-Ïto's Nikeames shoe is an "homage t…o Charles and Ray"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories