San Francisco designers Mike and Maaike have created a shelf with slots specifically cut to house seven seminal books about power and society.
Called Juxtaposed: Power, the piece is the second in a series of bookshelves for Californian gallery Blankblank, the first of which held works on religion.
Photographs are by Dwight Eschliman.
More about Mike and Maaike on Dezeen:
The text below is from Blankblank:
2,451 pages 2,390 years 2,251 wars 432 revolutions 90 empires 7 books 1 shelf
What should we value most--freedom or security, merit or equality? And who should decide--the few or the many, individuals or groups, humanity or God? For the first time, the world's most seminal texts on power and its relationship to the ordering of society are brought together and presented on the same level.
JUXTAPOSED: Power is the second in the Juxtaposed series of curated bookshelves.
Designed by Mike and Maaike
Curated by Athmeya Jayaram.
Produced by blankblank
36”w x 5”h x 8”d.
Offered in a numbered, limited edition of 50
- Designjunction is a place where "people …can get really excited about design"
- One laptop per artist: OLPC charity auct…ion
- Frozen in Time by Studio Wieki Somers at… Galerie Kreo
- Parrish by Konstantin Grcic for Emeco
- Interview: Tokujin Yoshioka at Design Mi…ami
- Plus salt and pepper mills by Norway Say…s
- Grasshopper by Wieki Somers for Tectona
- Grand Crus Cup Parade by Dottings
- Amma Studio's stools and tables combine …cement with BB pellets and coffee grounds
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories