Called Tube Chair, the design was developed for a housing project by architects BIG, one of the three KiBiSi founders, and has now been put into production by Danish furniture brand Hay.
KiBiSi was founded in November 2009 by Designer Lars Holme Larsen of Kilo Design, architect Bjarke Ingels of BIG and brand consultant Jens Martin Skibsted of Skibsted Ideation. See our story announcing the launch for more details.
See all our stories about Stockholm 2010 in our special category.
The information below is from Hay:
TUBE CHAIR - Design by/KiBiSi
Tube Chair is developed for the project 8 House which is designed by BIG and located in Ørestaden in Copenhagen.
The challenge with Tube Chair was to make a modern wooden chair in an industrialized context. Wooden chairs are often centered on craftsmanship which often makes them high-priced. With Tube Chair the craftsmanship is moved from the manufacturing process to the design process and product development. By using a simple wooden broomstick along with casted aluminum components a traditional material is combined with a modern material giving the chair a contemporary expression.
One of the best features of wood is that it ages beautifully and is very durable. If furniture does not take ageing well, it will be thrown away. Making long lasting furniture in design and quality is therefore the best way to produce furniture sustainably. Tube Chair is developed for the 36 000 m2 mixed-use project in CPH, 8 HOUSE. A Stackable chair manufactured of wood and aluminium. Produced by HAY.
- Masked - In Flight by Sruli Recht
- Disney Research unveils technique to 3D …print any object as a speaker
- Advances in digital interfaces will lead… to a "new beginning in music"
- Lumps of charcoal suspended in mid air c…reate outlines of classical architecture and furniture
- Sonja Rohleder animates natural disaster…s for Keimzeit music video
- Spinning Light by Benjamin Hubert for Un…ique Copenhagen
- Gravity by Jólan van der Wiel
- iPad by Apple
- eBoy for Groove Armada
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories