Dezeen podcast: in this podcast recorded at Object Rotterdam last month, fair director Fons Hof, gallerist Wilpert Dreesmann of Particles, and Dutch designers Kiki van Eijk and Aldo Bakker talk about design in the Netherlands.
Above: Kiki van Eijk
Hof discusses the appeal of design exhibited at Object Rotterdam to art collectors visiting the neighbouring Art Rotterdam fair, and asserts that Rotterdam is the real creative centre of the Netherlands
Above: Aldo Bakker
Van Eijk explains her design for the Table Palette project (see our earlier story) and why she chooses to design alone rather than in collaboration.
Director of Particles gallery Wilpert Dreesmann gives his opinion of current Dutch design and describes his struggle to find young designers he would like to represent.
Above: Side table from Urushi series by Aldo Bakker. Photo by Erik and Petra Hesmerg.
Here's a little text from Object Rotterdam:
Object Rotterdam is the official side fair of Art Rotterdam and will be held in the Las Palmas building opposite to Art Rotterdam.
Above: Le Lac by Aldo Bakker. Photo by Erik and Petra Hesmerg.
Object Rotterdam is the international fair for ‘autonomous design’ and the first fair in the world that focuses exclusively on the most current developments within autonomous design.
The fair is a platform for the latest designs of unique or limited edition functional objects by international designers.
In short: the place where the cutting edge between art and design becomes evident.
Above: Aldo Bakker at Thomas Eyck.
Above: Nacho Carbonell at Particles Gallery
Above: Total Table Design by Scholten & Baijings
- An Introvert's Transformation to Extrove…rsion by Lilian Hipolyte Mushi
- Array auditorium seats by Zaha Hadid for… Poltrona Frau Contract
- Creatures, Corona and Pacis by Nigel Coa…tes for Slamp
- Ron Arad is one of few contemporary desi…gners with art collector appeal, says French auctioneer
- Oscar Medley-Whitfield and Harry Trimble… at Designers in Residence 2012
- Arctic Circle Airport by Narud Stokke Wi…ig and Haptic
- Studio Mini by Anna Hadwick
- Benjamin Hubert exposes timber frames in… Prop furniture collection for Moroso
- Joris Laarman works with Opel
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories