Construction is underway in Jena, Germany, on four office and residential buildings by Berlin studio J Mayer H Architects.
Called Sonnenhof, the project is arranged around a courtyard.
Half the site is given over to public space, where polygonal flower beds continue the theme of the buildings' facades.
Here's some text from the architects:
"Sonnenhof" Construction Now Underway
A ceremony on April 16 marked the official groundbreaking of "Sonnenhof", a landmark development consisting of four new office and apartment buildings extending over several allotments in the historic center of Jena, Germany. Spanning over approximately half of the lot, the four-building complex leaves a large part of the space open for public use during the day, permitting a free flow of pedestrian traffic across the area. The buildings, situated on the edges of the lot, frame a small, urban courtyard typical to medieval city structures. Passages between the individual buildings connect them to the surrounding public-use areas, making it an important junction in the urban network.
The mixed-use concept supporting a small scale, flexible use scenario facilitates a seamless integration into the existing urban fabric, while the design of the outer buildings takes up the geometry of the polygonal shapes in the facade, continuing their graphics across the floor. The resulting surfaces are often extended and "programmed" into the third dimension, forming a sculptural set of wedges and steles integrating such functional elements as flower beds, ventilation openings, seating and lighting fixtures and thus transforming the open areas into attractive, urban leisure spaces.
Project: Sonnehof Jena
Location: Jena, Germany
Architect: J. MAYER H. Architects, Berlin
Client: Wohnungsgenossenschaft "Carl Zeiss" eG, Jena
Total Floor Area: approx. 10.000 m2
Design Start: 2008
Construction Period: 2010 -2012
- Tate Modern 2 by Herzog & de Meuron
- CUT Architectures adds golden walls to 1…960s community centre
- The West Village Building by Doojin Hwan…g Architects
- Penda's modular bamboo hotel could be ex…panded horizontally and vertically
- California Academy of Sciences by Renzo …Piano Building Workshop
- Cullinan Studio transforms Hampstead hou…se with glazed garden room
- A pile of sand marks the entrance to Des…ign Miami
- Church in La Laguna by Menis Arquitectos
- White concrete cultural centre by DRDH n…estles up against a Norwegian harbour
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories