Milan 2010: London design studio Study O Portable presented a set of bangles made of layers of ceramic resin in Milan earlier this month.
Called Baum, the bangles are made by layering coloured ceramic resin onto a rotating spit, creating a tube which is then sliced and polished.
Each batch of bangles has different colour combinations and diameters.
See earlier stories about Foodmarketo:
See all our stories about Milan 2010 in our special category.
Here's some more information from the designers:
Baum is a stack of bangles made by layering coloured ceramic resin onto a rotating spit. The process, that takes hours of labour to complete, resembles the way Baumkuchen (the German Tree Cake) is made and creates a tree like structure.
The trunk made from the process is then cut into slices and polished to become bangles. All the trunks are unique in colour and size, and each bangle has a different thickness. The bangles are cross sections of the trunk that expose the intricate pattern of growth developed during the making.
This is a part of an ongoing experiment in defining the function of an object with a void. With Baum, the object function is defined by the size of the core. Baum was commissioned for FoodMarketo, a joint venture by Apartamento Magazine and DesignMarketo which took place at Kaleidoscope Project Space during Milan Design Week 2010.
Study O Portable is a designing practice for accessories and other portable objects, founded by Bernadette Deddens and Tetsuo Mukai in London in 2009.
- Hydro-Fold byChristophe Guberan
- Attitude Chair by Deger Cengiz
- Felice Varini paints perspective-dependa…nt artwork across Belgian city
- Alessia Giardino designs tableware colle…ction made from dyed concrete
- Yves Behar moves towards the connected g…arden with Edyn
- Dog or Bitch at Konarska-Konarski
- Ferm Living adds graphic textiles and ru…bber coated vessels to homeware collection
- Cloud Installation by Mason Studio
- Musician Gergely Bogányi offers a curva…ceous take on the traditional grand piano
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories