UK designer Luke Twigger has created a range of skull-shaped containers with cushions for brains.
Called Skullmate, the ceramic series begins with an edition inspired by the city of Nottingham, featuring a green wool cushion decorated with feathers.
Here's some more information from Twigger:
The Skullmate, made in a brilliant white, glazed earthenware; then polished off with golden details and high quality tranfers. Ontop of this (literally) sits a cushioned Brain made in the finest of vintage fabrics, for storing pointy things or for getting a cheeky snooze.
The Skullmate can be used to store anything (preferably colourful things) from bon bons to pasta, and is not dishwasher safe. Each Skullmate is lovingly handmade and comes numbered and signed.
I have made a special edition that celebrates the City of Nottingham; it is the first of the City Edition range and comprises a green woolen brain complete with feathers, evoking notions of the City's most famous darling, Robin Hood.
I'm an Artist/Designer and Maker based in the UK. My practice is focused on creating work that straddles the pre-conceived boundaries of Art, Design and Craft, making work that challenges critically the notion of the Art Object and its role and purpose.
I utilize the formal language presented within these three coherent, yet unalike disciplines to construct objects that are understood tangibly, making my work accessible through its function and aesthetic value. Art makes problems and Design solves problems; and a problem must be made before it can be solved. My practice is the result of this equation, experimental, artistic endeavors that reach a conclusion.
The Skullmate/ City Edition\ Nottingham, 2010
Glazed Earthenware, Ceramic Transfers, Lustres, Vintage Fabric, Feathers
by Luke Morgan
|Skull furniture by
Atelier Van Lieshout
|Companion Parrot by
- Flame Lamps by Gitta Gschwendtner
- Swiss watch based on Helvetica typefac…e arrives at Dezeen Watch Store
- Crudo by Barbara Busatta, Dario Buzzin…i, Robin Bigio, Martin Meier and Oliviero Zanon
- Viktor & Rolf turns Van Gogh artworks …into sculptural haute-couture garments
- Lagrange34 chocolate by Jjuice
- Roksanda's Resort 2016 fashion collect…ion is patterned with Cubist shapes
- Story cabinet by Maxim Velčovský
- Gogoro launches electric smartscooter …to combat pollution in megacities
- Director Jonathan Irwin burns 250 hand…-made model buildings in Aqualung music video
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories