A diagonal wall clad in copper plates partially hides the interior of this boutique in Tenjin Fukuoka, Japan, by Japanese architect Toru Shimokawa of STAD.
The copper pieces are sized to match those of the stone floor tiles, and will oxidise over time as a result of shoppers touching the surface.
Called Trent Vioro, the boutique is located inside a mall.
See also: eel shop clad in burnt cedar by STAD
The following information is from the architect:
Boutique in VIORO in Tenjin Fukuoka.
Client make me two contrary requests, one is open facade in order to invite guests and another is closed interior not to be seen from outside.
As a solution, We constructed the closed shop like wrapped up that has a wide opened facade with a hanging diagonal wall to the opposite angle that also meets fire department's requirements in shopping mall.
And this inclined facade wall crossing with elevator line made up a peculiar visual. The facade wall is covered with hundreds of copper sheets same size as the stone plates on the floor. Hundreds of copper sheets on the facade wall same size as the stone plates on the floor, going to lose lustre by touch of people who are interested in, and their color turns reddish-brown (It's only copper and bronze) by oxidation and corroding as time goes by.
By reason that TRENT has established shops on streets by this time, I intend to create their brand image by using materials such as copper, stones, concrete blocks and scaffold just like other TRENT shops been done.
|Eel shop clad in burnt
cedar by STAD
- L’Eclaireur Paris store by Studio Ar…ne Quinze
- D&V Multibrand Store by Guise
- Universal Design Studio rides the pop-…up wave with Fruit of the Loom
- BIG and Kilo Design transform Copenhag…en basement into tiled South American restaurant
- Hanging sticks create illusions of cha…irs at Issey Miyake boutique in Tokyo
- Droog New York by Studio Makkink & Bey
- Weinhandlung Kreis by Furch Gestaltung… + Production
- Karine Arabian Boutique by Joseph Grap…pin
- IkHa by Oatmeal Studio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories