Called Orishiki Spectacle Case, the object is part of Kawamoto's graduate project inspired by origami and furoshiki, a large Japanese traditional cloth.
A single piece made up of magnetic triangular segments is folded to form the three-dimensional object.
Read all our stories on Tokyo 2010 in our special category.
Here's a bit more information from the designer:
"Orishiki" is a hybrid word composed of "Ori", taken f rom Origami, Japanese paper-folding art, and "Shiki" taken f rom Furoshiki, Japanese traditional wrapping cloth which is large enough to wrap and transport goods and gifts, as well as wearing them as scarves. "ORISHIKI" is a new carrying device consisting of a single piece of two dimensional structure, constructed of triangular segments which can be folded like origami, and can wrap things like furoshiki. The geometric bag is not only idiosyncratic in its appearance but also in its highly speacialized production process. The unique process can be applied to just about any productions without losing its unique product identity.
Origami "folding-Ori-" and wrapping cloth "sock-shiki-", and represents a way how to "formula-Shiki-" encapsulation of "ORISHIKI". Origami-like folds, a single structure consisting of triangular segments, but wraps things like apple sauce, a new kind of bag systems serve as luggage. Bag was closed geometrically, as well as a structurally unique, its manufacturing method is also special. Therefore, while keeping its own brand identity, product development was possible variety.
Marloes ten Bhömer
|.ORI sto by
Jakub Piotr Kalinowski
|Origami Stair by
- "Most of our parents wanted us to be law…yers or doctors. Not anymore."
- "Bosnian handicraft meets Scandinavian d…esign" in Monica Förster's range for Zanat
- Kiosk at SCP by Michael Marriott
- To celebrate World Toilet Day, here are …Dezeen's favourite unusual toilets
- Bethan Laura Wood creates installation o…f oversized canapés for lettuce-shaped plates
- Zen by Marcel Wanders
- Trufa by Anton García-Abril
- Meaningless Excitement footwear by Y-3 a…nd Peter Saville
- Dezeen Watch Store at Ligne Roset Westen…d
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories