Called Brotzeit, German for 'Snack', the design would involve packaging locally produced raw food in a set of pebble-like capsules, to be transported and presented in a wooden box.
Belgrade Design Week took place 23-25 May 2011.
The information below is from the designers:
Rethinking Economy Class Food
Duesseldorf to Miami / 03.02.2011
Flight duration: 10h 15min
Chicken rice with cooked vegetables, prawn salad, apricot cake
How could design help to introduce a new way to cater economy style travellers in a way that she/he will remember this meal as a great experience? How can an airline redefine its brand around one of the most intimate points of interaction with their customers? What a great opportunity would it be if the customers of a Lufthansa flight actually remembers the journey by the tastes, textures and smells of the food that has been served – just like smelling and tasting the brand itself.
We at Postlerferguson developed the “Brotzeit” design proposal that is aimed to inspire decision makers in the airline industry to rethink their approach on how to deliver and serve meals to their customers and what kinds of products are being selected.
All foods can be supplied by local specialist manufacturers to the airline and packed into the Brotzeit boxes of each passenger. Every culture has a rich “on the go” cuisine of pre-prepared dishes, fresh produce, salads, pickles, conserves or raw foods. These foods are made for travelling and we believe future airlines should take advantage of this healthy and divers food culture – it`s Brotzeit!
- Disposable canvas layers rejuvenate Mode…l 1 shoes by Lou Moria
- Transition sportswear by Arik Levy
- Front at Nordic Light Hotel
- OMA designs installation for the launch …of furniture collection by Maarten van Severen
- Häagen-Dazs Cloud ice cream by Front
- Paralympic design: discus throwing frame
- Furniture and lighting brands move into …"big wonderful world" of fragrances
- Ora-Ito at Belgrade Design Week
- Mattia Bonetti at David Gill Galleries
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories