What appears to be an open tunnel beneath a bridge in northern Spain is in fact a concealed passageway, screened behind a secret mirror.
Local studio VAV Architects temporarily installed the mirror inside the doorway to a passageway that burrows through the base of the river-spanning bridge.
A slither of daylight passes around the edges of the mirror into the tunnel, creating an illuminated outline around the reflected view.
The true view is revealed when the mirror is revolved around a central pivot.
Photography is by VAV and Miquel Merce.
Heres a short project description from VAV Architects:
The idea of exploring the mirror for the installation has grown from the desire to capture, explore and experiment with the landscape, rather than the built form.
The project itself is not important on it's own, as much as is its relationship with the site.
The mirror lab is merely a tool to explore and capture the views of the existing and by doing so it becomes invisible, completely dissolving into the landscape. A simple insertion into the bridge, solely supported by the two points, mirror lab adds a new dimension to the site, both inside the arc, by doubling and inverting the space, and outside, by capturing and framing the views.
Pivoting through the centre, the door allows the visitors to interact with and become part of the installation, immersing themselves into and exploring both the real and the reflected landscapes.
Place: Bridge de Sant Roc, Olot, Spain
Material: bridge, mirror, timber, plywood, landscape
Time: 5 days
- Casa Klotz by Mathias Klotz photographed… by Roland Halbe
- B House in Shimasaki by Anderson Anderso…n Architecture
- RIBA Stirling Prize shortlist 2010
- Giardino delle Vergini Installations by …Álvaro Siza and Eduardo Souto de Moura
- Die Kunstbar by Studio Arne Quinze
- "I hope that Singapore doesn't have a st…yle" - Kerry Hill on Martin No. 38
- Dezeen’s top ten: pavilions
- A House in Showa-cho by Shintaro Fujiwar…a
- Dezeen's top five pavilions at the Venic…e Architecture Biennale 2012
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories