What appears to be an open tunnel beneath a bridge in northern Spain is in fact a concealed passageway, screened behind a secret mirror.
Local studio VAV Architects temporarily installed the mirror inside the doorway to a passageway that burrows through the base of the river-spanning bridge.
A slither of daylight passes around the edges of the mirror into the tunnel, creating an illuminated outline around the reflected view.
The true view is revealed when the mirror is revolved around a central pivot.
Photography is by VAV and Miquel Merce.
Heres a short project description from VAV Architects:
The idea of exploring the mirror for the installation has grown from the desire to capture, explore and experiment with the landscape, rather than the built form.
The project itself is not important on it's own, as much as is its relationship with the site.
The mirror lab is merely a tool to explore and capture the views of the existing and by doing so it becomes invisible, completely dissolving into the landscape. A simple insertion into the bridge, solely supported by the two points, mirror lab adds a new dimension to the site, both inside the arc, by doubling and inverting the space, and outside, by capturing and framing the views.
Pivoting through the centre, the door allows the visitors to interact with and become part of the installation, immersing themselves into and exploring both the real and the reflected landscapes.
Place: Bridge de Sant Roc, Olot, Spain
Material: bridge, mirror, timber, plywood, landscape
Time: 5 days
- Comic and Animation Museum by MVRDV
- House Shimouma by Kazuya Saito Architect…s
- Future tourists could "travel the virtua…l world instead of the physical"
- Featured architect: Steven Holl
- Television Cultural Centre by OMA
- Honeycomb perforations speckle facade of… Campus Netzwerk office by Format Elf Architekten
- The architecture of Simón Vélez pionee…rs "new ways of using giant bamboo"
- Le Polyèdre by Béal and Blanckaert
- Buckminster Fuller's Fly's Eye Dome inst…alled in Miami Design District
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories