O consists of a mirrored watch face embedded in a transparent grey plastic bangle.
Yoshioka designed the watch to appear as though sculpted from water.
The clear plastic bracelet reveals the wearer’s wrist as well as reflecting their surroundings, like the play of light on liquid.
The name of the watch comes from the French word ‘eau,’ meaning ‘water’ and pronounced “O”.
Dezeen Watch Store is a carefully curated online store specialising in watches by named designers and boutique brands.
Here are some more details from manufacturers Seiko Instruments:
"O", produced by ISSEY MIYAKE and developed by Seiko Instruments Inc., was launched at the Basel World in Switzerland in March of 2011 in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the ISSEY MIYAKE watch project.
"O" is designed, aiming to go back to the origin of the watch.
It is as if sculpted from water, and creates the scenery which only the time itself embraces the wrist of the wearer.
The smooth curvature of the transparent bangle leads our eyes to the mirror finish body, which reflects the scenes of the surroundings, and gradually blends into the environment as if disappearing the form of itself.
Using the transparent special plastic material, "O" opens up a new direction in watch design with non-definitive form like water, which is as if freed from the concept of the materialism.
- Democratic Chess by Florian Hauswirth
- Canasta by Patricia Urquiola
- Swarovski Crystal Palace 3
- Dumbo by Tomek Rygalik for Moroso
- Park Life by Jasper Morrison for Kettal
- Nir Meiri stacks Babilus Vases from ring…s of bamboo, chipboard and Corian
- Ar Vag by Thibault Penven /ECAL
- L'Etreinte by Elise Gabriel
- Designed in Hackney: Josiah pendant ligh…t by Terence Woodgate
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories