Swirling clouds of drumsticks cover the ceiling of a Los Angeles noodle restaurant by Japanese architects SWeeT.
The 2500 wooden sticks are each cut to different lengths to create the cloud patterns at Tsujita LA.
Wavy-edged tiles give the interior walls the appearance of a woven basket, while plain clay tiles surround an open kitchen.
The dining room features leather sofas, timber chairs and cylindrical lamps.
Rectangular lanterns decorated with the restaurant’s flower motif fill the shelves of a timber bookshelf at the entrance.
Other restaurants with textured ceilings to have been featured on Dezeen include one where curved walls are lined with wooden blocks coated in gold leaf, and another with an undulating cave-like ceiling.
Photography by Takeshi Nakasa.
The following text is from SWeeT:
2057 Sawtelle Blvd, Los Angeles
I put 25000 of wooden sticks, which was shaped like drum stick on the ceiling.
In order to increase a reality of clouds, I calculate the focal length between eye line and wooden sticks and use that length for the stick length.
Also I made difference on the distance between stick each other so that to make a stereoscopic effect to wooden cloud.
Not only for this project. I'm always challenging to create a space that coexist art and interior.
At the same time, I'd like people to feel the delicate of beauty, which Japanese have, and Japanese atmosphere when they visit here so that they will think that they want to visit Japan.
I'd like to make this restaurant as one of an element for Japanese reconstruction.
Click above for larger image.
- Foldaway Bookshop by Campaign
- Scaffolding forms temporary clothing rai…ls at Berlin pop-up shop by Kontent
- adidas by Stella McCartney store by APA
- Mint by Smith & Wightman and BCMH
- Scenography by A.A. Studio
- Hanging sticks create illusions of chair…s at Issey Miyake boutique in Tokyo
- Dezeen archive: floor tiles in Barcelona… apartments
- The Workshop offices by Guy Hollaway Arc…hitects feature a tubular steel slide
- Google office by Scott Brownrigg
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories