Vienna Design Week 2011: Austrian designer Konstantin Schmölzer has squeezed a wooden tower into the space between a green wall and glass atrium at Jean Nouvel's Sofitel hotel for Vienna Design Week.
Vienna Design Week continues until 9 October. See all our coverage of the event in our special category.
Here are some more details from Konstantin Schmölzer:
A dialog about contemporary stability and new, nostalgic values resulted in the search for a space, which could reflect in a decent manner on this common demand.
Situated between a modern way of constructing and urban gardening a new landscape is found. A phenomena of working / living in a high-rise often is that one falls in a mood of observation, analytics and self consciousness. Taking a well established product, designed in different times exactly for this purpose, out of its archived context and placing it into this new scenario creates a counter object, which tries to bring this atmosphere down to earth and realize it more coherent.
Konstantin Schmölzer at Verdarium
Fr 30.09.–Sa 8.10.2011
Nouvel-Tower, Sofitel, Stilwerk, Verdarium (by Jean Nouvel) & Patrick Blanc Vertical Garden
Vienna Design Week
- Art Suites at Icehotel
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: Bjarke Ingel…s
- Library of Birmingham by Mecanoo Archite…cten
- Maidstone Museum East Wingby Hugh Brough…ton Architects
- Long Farm by Lucy Marston
- California Academy of Sciences by Renzo …Piano Building Workshop
- Calatrava's Liège-Guillemins Station ca…ptured in new photographs by Luke Hayes
- Amazon Science Centre by Marks Barfield …Architects
- Domed roof garden covers Waterfront Rest…aurant by Pro-form Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories