Vienna Design Week 2011: Austrian designer Konstantin Schmölzer has squeezed a wooden tower into the space between a green wall and glass atrium at Jean Nouvel's Sofitel hotel for Vienna Design Week.
Vienna Design Week continues until 9 October. See all our coverage of the event in our special category.
Here are some more details from Konstantin Schmölzer:
A dialog about contemporary stability and new, nostalgic values resulted in the search for a space, which could reflect in a decent manner on this common demand.
Situated between a modern way of constructing and urban gardening a new landscape is found. A phenomena of working / living in a high-rise often is that one falls in a mood of observation, analytics and self consciousness. Taking a well established product, designed in different times exactly for this purpose, out of its archived context and placing it into this new scenario creates a counter object, which tries to bring this atmosphere down to earth and realize it more coherent.
Konstantin Schmölzer at Verdarium
Fr 30.09.–Sa 8.10.2011
Nouvel-Tower, Sofitel, Stilwerk, Verdarium (by Jean Nouvel) & Patrick Blanc Vertical Garden
Vienna Design Week
- The Shadow House by Liddicoat & Goldhill
- Loop Kindergarten by SAKO Architects
- Cottages at Fallingwater by Patkau Archi…tects
- House Riihi by OOPEAA shelters a courtya…rd from wintery gusts
- Camp Nou by Foster + Partners 2
- Schanerloch Bridge by Marte.Marte Archit…ects
- Santiago Calatrava completes Florida Pol…ytechnic University
- Visitor centre "harmoniously inserted" i…nto a Canadian forest by Smith Vigeant Architects
- The Waterhouse at South Bund by NHDRO
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories