Vienna Design Week 2011: Austrian designer Konstantin Schmölzer has squeezed a wooden tower into the space between a green wall and glass atrium at Jean Nouvel's Sofitel hotel for Vienna Design Week.
Vienna Design Week continues until 9 October. See all our coverage of the event in our special category.
Here are some more details from Konstantin Schmölzer:
A dialog about contemporary stability and new, nostalgic values resulted in the search for a space, which could reflect in a decent manner on this common demand.
Situated between a modern way of constructing and urban gardening a new landscape is found. A phenomena of working / living in a high-rise often is that one falls in a mood of observation, analytics and self consciousness. Taking a well established product, designed in different times exactly for this purpose, out of its archived context and placing it into this new scenario creates a counter object, which tries to bring this atmosphere down to earth and realize it more coherent.
Konstantin Schmölzer at Verdarium
Fr 30.09.–Sa 8.10.2011
Nouvel-Tower, Sofitel, Stilwerk, Verdarium (by Jean Nouvel) & Patrick Blanc Vertical Garden
Vienna Design Week
- Artjail in Philadelphia
- Alphabet Building by MVRDV
- Qatar Petroleum grounds by Martha Schwar…tz Partners
- Chu Hai College Campus by OMA
- Zaha Hadid's Dongdaemun Design Plaza ope…ns in Seoul
- Red concrete visitor centre by Gonçalo …Byrne tells the story of a Portuguese civil war battle
- Apartment in Kamitakada by Takeshi Yamag…ata Architects
- Edge by Apollo Architects & Associates
- Casa 205 by H Arquitectes
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories