Vienna Design Week 2011: Austrian designer Konstantin Schmölzer has squeezed a wooden tower into the space between a green wall and glass atrium at Jean Nouvel's Sofitel hotel for Vienna Design Week.
Vienna Design Week continues until 9 October. See all our coverage of the event in our special category.
Here are some more details from Konstantin Schmölzer:
A dialog about contemporary stability and new, nostalgic values resulted in the search for a space, which could reflect in a decent manner on this common demand.
Situated between a modern way of constructing and urban gardening a new landscape is found. A phenomena of working / living in a high-rise often is that one falls in a mood of observation, analytics and self consciousness. Taking a well established product, designed in different times exactly for this purpose, out of its archived context and placing it into this new scenario creates a counter object, which tries to bring this atmosphere down to earth and realize it more coherent.
Konstantin Schmölzer at Verdarium
Fr 30.09.–Sa 8.10.2011
Nouvel-Tower, Sofitel, Stilwerk, Verdarium (by Jean Nouvel) & Patrick Blanc Vertical Garden
Vienna Design Week
- Warm Architects adds cast concrete sta…ircase to Garcia's House in Cancún
- Cooper Union by Morphosis
- Katsutoshi Sasaki's Imai house is just… three metres wide
- MVRDV designed the Markthal Rotterdam …to be "as proud as possible"
- Micro house by Architekturbüro Schede…r is raised off the ground on stilts
- A Room for London by David Kohn and Fi…ona Banner
- Brains Unlimited neuroscience facility… by Wiegerinck
- Susan Fitzgerald's live-work space in …Halifax features a rooftop vegetable garden
- Float House by Morphosis for Make it R…ight
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories