Vienna Design Week 2011: Austrian designer Konstantin Schmölzer has squeezed a wooden tower into the space between a green wall and glass atrium at Jean Nouvel's Sofitel hotel for Vienna Design Week.
Vienna Design Week continues until 9 October. See all our coverage of the event in our special category.
Here are some more details from Konstantin Schmölzer:
A dialog about contemporary stability and new, nostalgic values resulted in the search for a space, which could reflect in a decent manner on this common demand.
Situated between a modern way of constructing and urban gardening a new landscape is found. A phenomena of working / living in a high-rise often is that one falls in a mood of observation, analytics and self consciousness. Taking a well established product, designed in different times exactly for this purpose, out of its archived context and placing it into this new scenario creates a counter object, which tries to bring this atmosphere down to earth and realize it more coherent.
Konstantin Schmölzer at Verdarium
Fr 30.09.–Sa 8.10.2011
Nouvel-Tower, Sofitel, Stilwerk, Verdarium (by Jean Nouvel) & Patrick Blanc Vertical Garden
Vienna Design Week
- House at Alibag by Malik Architecture
- House S by Suga Atelier
- AOR's floating Viewpoint offers glimpses… of London's canal-side wildlife
- Tianjin Ecocity Ecology and Planning Mus…eums by Steven Holl Architects
- Dezeen archive: mirrored buildings
- Casa La Cañada by Ricardo Torrejón
- Featured architect: Steven Holl
- The Surreal House by Carmody Groarke
- Biblioteca Sant Josep by Ramon Esteve Es…tudio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories