Vienna Design Week 2011: Austrian designer Konstantin Schmölzer has squeezed a wooden tower into the space between a green wall and glass atrium at Jean Nouvel's Sofitel hotel for Vienna Design Week.
Vienna Design Week continues until 9 October. See all our coverage of the event in our special category.
Here are some more details from Konstantin Schmölzer:
A dialog about contemporary stability and new, nostalgic values resulted in the search for a space, which could reflect in a decent manner on this common demand.
Situated between a modern way of constructing and urban gardening a new landscape is found. A phenomena of working / living in a high-rise often is that one falls in a mood of observation, analytics and self consciousness. Taking a well established product, designed in different times exactly for this purpose, out of its archived context and placing it into this new scenario creates a counter object, which tries to bring this atmosphere down to earth and realize it more coherent.
Konstantin Schmölzer at Verdarium
Fr 30.09.–Sa 8.10.2011
Nouvel-Tower, Sofitel, Stilwerk, Verdarium (by Jean Nouvel) & Patrick Blanc Vertical Garden
Vienna Design Week
- Dezeen archive: museums
- House Extension in Dublin by GKMP Archit…ects
- Opera and Cultural Centre by CF Møller
- Gambier Island House by MGB cantilevers …over a rocky cliff face
- Vector Architects completes a seaside li…brary with board-marked concrete walls
- The World Village of Women Sports by BIG
- Heart of Shapes by Keiko + Manabu
- Make Architecture adds perforated wooden… facade to renovated and extended Melbourne house
- Statoil regional and international offic…es by A-Lab
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories