Called Analogia #001, the project involved tracing the outline of a table, three chairs, a lamp, a vase of flowers and a coat rack by calculating the required wire grid on a computer then draping the wool over this framework.
Here are some more details from Andrea Mancuso and Emilia Serra:
Analogia #001 by Andrea Mancuso & Emilia Serra
Analogia #001 is an alteration of space perception, an ethereal experience provoking the spectator to reinvestigate the functionality of the objects surroundings them. It is on show at "testbed1" as part of the exhibition "a few friends", curated by will alsop, for the london design week 2011.
Designed by andrea mancuso and emilia serra, analogia #001 is made with variably sized Merino wool on a net of fishing lines fixed from ceiling to floor and from wall to wall.
Firstly, the space was analysed with a 3D software in order to position the fishing lines that created the framework for the sketching-wool. Having the basic structure we explored the intriguing freedom of drawing in the air.
The name derives from the italian word for analogy and the concept grew during the process of its construction. In fact while we were applying the wool, studying every “brushstroke”, we realised that the process was a meticulous replication of sketching.
The installation inspires a feeling of ‘surprise’ in the viewer, which comes from seeing the materialisation of the thought itself.
- Final issues of FOMO released as project… prepares to visit Venice
- Stitching Concrete by Florian Schmid
- Concepts by the Campana Brothers at Frie…dman Benda
- Antenna Lights by Adrien Rovero
- Workaholic by THINKK Studio
- Objets Nomades for Louis Vuitton
- Recent work by Kelly McCallum
- Stepney Green Design Collection: what is… special about East London?
- Apparitions by Matali Crasset, Mathias G…aillaguet and Michel Bulteau
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories