Called Analogia #001, the project involved tracing the outline of a table, three chairs, a lamp, a vase of flowers and a coat rack by calculating the required wire grid on a computer then draping the wool over this framework.
Here are some more details from Andrea Mancuso and Emilia Serra:
Analogia #001 by Andrea Mancuso & Emilia Serra
Analogia #001 is an alteration of space perception, an ethereal experience provoking the spectator to reinvestigate the functionality of the objects surroundings them. It is on show at "testbed1" as part of the exhibition "a few friends", curated by will alsop, for the london design week 2011.
Designed by andrea mancuso and emilia serra, analogia #001 is made with variably sized Merino wool on a net of fishing lines fixed from ceiling to floor and from wall to wall.
Firstly, the space was analysed with a 3D software in order to position the fishing lines that created the framework for the sketching-wool. Having the basic structure we explored the intriguing freedom of drawing in the air.
The name derives from the italian word for analogy and the concept grew during the process of its construction. In fact while we were applying the wool, studying every “brushstroke”, we realised that the process was a meticulous replication of sketching.
The installation inspires a feeling of ‘surprise’ in the viewer, which comes from seeing the materialisation of the thought itself.
- Matali Crasset creates faceted presentat…ion cases from concrete
- Headgear to thwart mind-reading surveill…ance cameras by Fabrica researchers
- Fredrikson Stallard preview new collecti…on
- The Panther by Volido
- Kaarsrecht Glas by Pascal Smelik
- Studio Makkink & Bey creates Blue Potter…y using traditional Indian techniques
- New tables by BarberOsgerby and Nendo fo…r Cappellini
- Geof Ramsay provides an alternative to s…itting on stairs with Steps bench
- Famiglia Grande by Kacey Wong
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories