Estonian architects KAMP have completed a timber house outside Tallinn that's cranked around an oak tree.
One side of the larch-clad house is single-storey to allow longer periods of sunlight to reach the rear deck.
On the other side of the building, where bedrooms are located, the roof slopes up to create a first-floor room beneath the eaves.
Inside the house, plywood wall surfaces are coated with a smooth covering of clay.
Photography is by Terje Ugandi.
Here's some more information from KAMP:
Private house is situated in the suburban area of Tallinn, capital of Estonia.
The plot is covered with old oak trees, looking almost like little park. One of these oak trees is combined with the house, inserted to the terrace.
The sun direction is from the street, so the house is made 1-storey high to receive sun the backyard also.
House is taking L-shape to bend around the oak tree. In the wing of the house, there is a living area with a sauna, at the other – sleeping.
In the sleeping part, the house rises to 2-storeys high.
The whole house is made of wood – from the construction frame to the larch siding. The higher part of the roof is also covered with larch siding.
In interior there is no gypsum board used. All inner walls are made of plywood and covered with natural clays. Outer walls and roof contain more insulation wool than normally is provided to achieve better insulation and lower heating costs.
In interior there is lot of natural oak wood used – supporting construction of the windows etc. In living room there is 2 roof windows to give more natural light.
The owner of the house is a pilot, so in the car garage, there is airplane parking lot painted.
Total area: 225m2
- Foster + Partners presents rippled concr…ete Expo pavilion for the United Arab Emirates
- House of 33 Years by Megumi Matsubara an…d Hiroi Ariyama
- LALALA Arthotel in Sopot
- Housing project in Helsingborg by Wilhel…mson Arkitekter
- Arnau Vergés builds concrete outbuildin…g for 17th-century Spanish farmhouse
- Maggie's Merseyside by Carmody Groarke f…eatures a fluted facade
- Hewn limestone walls and an overhanging …roof enclose a hillside home in Nairobi
- Gym Hall Nieuw Welgelegen by NL Architec…ts
- Torre Telefónica Diagonal ZeroZero by E…MBA
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories