Dezeen in Israel: elaborate origami sculptures diffuse the light from these lamps by Tel Aviv studio Aqua Creations and origami artist Ilan Garibi.
Single sheets of white paper are pinched into geometric patterns to create the textured shades.
Each lamp has a smooth mahogany base with a power switch on a projecting branch-like stump.
These lamps are credited to designers Ofir Zucker and Albi Serfaty, but another designer from Aqua Creations is Ayala Serfaty, whose upholstered furniture resembling lichen-covered stone we featured earlier this month.
Here's a little more text from Aqua Creations:
Designed by Ofir Zucker & Albi Serfaty, in collaboration with origami artist Ilan Garibi
It all begins with a blank sheet of paper, folded and sculpted by hand into a tessellation of molecules, based on the traditional Japanese art of Origami.
A complement and contrast at the same time are the mahogany wood structures that derive their shape from digital CNC carving.
The modular design of the wooden pieces allows them to be assembled into the different lamps of the collection.
Paper and wood are merged together, fixing the shade into its shape and place.
The attention given to each element forms the design.
Lit by 12 energy saving LEDs, dimmed by digital DALI protocol.
Operated by touch.
￼It all comes together to form a comprehensive, luxurious and elegant lighting collection.
- Koloro-wagon stacking wooden storage box…es by Torafu Architects
- Marina Bautier furniture collection for …Idée
- Babel Blocks by Boym Partners
- The Front & Back by Giha Woo and Shingoe…un
- Powerless Structures, Fig.101 by Elmgree…n and Dragset
- Cabbage Chair by Nendo
- Big-Game to present adjustable metal coa…t rack for Hay in Milan
- Chairs for the Dysfunctional by Alice Wa…ng
- 50by70 by Tim Fishlock for Habitat
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories