Returning to The Temporium for the second year, Valla presents her gold finches, mini porcelain vases inspired by the shapes of cut-glass decanters and porcelain milk bottles with gold stoppers.
She also shows Sprig, a vase made from three glass vessels joined together like crossing flower stems.
Here are some more details from Valla:
Shan Annabelle Valla is an award winning independent designer specializing in luxury interior accessories and commissioned art works.
Shan’s porcelain collection ranges from functional products to playfully decorative curiosities that put a subtle twist on the everyday. Inspired by the familiar, objects are taken and transformed into something new. A playful approach to product development naturally evolves, resulting in a collection that is ever growing.
In glass Shan creates one off pieces, commissioned art works and installations. Working with hand-blown furnace glass as well as ‘lamp-worked glass’ traditionally associated with scientific glass-making.
Inspired by unseen beauty the Glass Garden series reinvents the hidden world of the undergrowth in cluster of twisted and distorted stem like branches. Recreating beheaded stalks of roses in hand-worked glass, Shan finds this discarded part of the flower more interesting and unexpectedly beautiful than the flower itself.
Shan’s work is led by her understanding of materials, resulting in a delicate understated beauty that defines her style. Honesty of material is paramount, attempting to exploit the beauty that is often overlooked. All of Shan’s pieces are designed and made in London, either by herself, or carefully selected artisans.
Dezeen presents The Temporium
65 Monmouth Street
Seven Dials, Covent Garden
London WC2H 9DG
020 7503 7319
1-24 December 2011
Monday – Saturday: 11:00 – 19:00
Late-night shopping Thursday until 20:00
Sunday: 12:00 – 17:00
More info: www.thetemporium.com
- Weave Bookcase by Chicako Ibaraki for Ca…samania
- Overground by DZHUS
- W by Satoshi Wada for Issey Miyake at De…zeen Watch Store
- OMA designs installation for the launch …of furniture collection by Maarten van Severen
- Fairytale-inspired chair shrouds the sit…ter with a red hood
- Futuristic gowns formed from metallic ne…oprene by Sadie Williams
- Marlène Huissoud creates products with …the help of insects
- Sebastian Bergne's Fiction bookstand cre…ates the illusion of floating books
- Wonderlamp by Studio Job and Pieke Bergm…ans for Dilmos
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories