Entitled the Wall of Zudaji, the shed provides a furniture storage area for a restaurant near to the architects’ office in Hamamatsu.
Clear corrugated plastic clads the building to create a waterproof exterior screen, while the roof is a corrugated sheet of zinc-coated steel.
At night, lights inside glow through gaps in the wooden walls, which are affixed to a structural frame of recycled wooden palettes.
Photography is by Kenta Hasegawa.
The text below was provided by 403architecture:
The Wall of Zudaji
We designed and built an warehouse for interior shop including a restaurant. At this time, we had some stock of materials from the other 3 projects, "the floor of Atsumi", "the grid of Santen", "the difference of Ebitsuka".
So, we decided to use these material for the warehouse. But it was not enough amount. The additional idea is wrecking a palette which is used by the freight. In these days, the material of the palette shift to plastic from timber, so the company of transportation is bothered with how to dispose much amount of woods.
That is why we decided to use this material which had supported the distribution system for new distribution we dreams.
The palette is strong to work as structure, so we sticked each boards of palette with a screw to make columns and the wall.
The materials for cladding are simple, for example the transparent waving polycarbonate, the palette siding, aluminum-zinc alloy-coated steel sheet.
In this project, we wanna touch not only design of Architecture, but also material consumption and distribution by using the material of palette and some stock of other projects with the alternative deign of distribution.
- 3D2Real by ILEK students
- Lakeside boathouse by Guinée*Potin Arch…itectes features a green roof and wooden walls
- Faceted timber community centre complete…d by Gayet-Roger Architects
- Granite-clad library by Carr Cotter & Na…essens faces out over the Irish Sea
- Aluminum house by Atelier Tekuto
- 102 Dwellings by Dosmasuno Arquitectos
- Family Tomb by Pedro Dias
- Tongzhou Central Business District by U…NStudio
- Blackened timber retreat by Studio Aula …built in the woods outside Tokyo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories